Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Pa state stores now and the old days

I remember well the good old days when Whiskey and Bourbon were king at the state stores in Pa. All the Continental brands were there and there was very little wine. Those were the good days for pa. Now almost 3/4 of the stores are nothing but Wine and if there is something you really want a special Bourbon forget it if they can't buy it cheap and on their list you are doomed! The stores then were small but full of Great Whiskey's. I remember many a Friday after work driving to the old State store in Pottstown and getting some Old Hickory and some Rittenhouse Rye. I just am not much for wine and I guess I'm just to old fashion but I think back to those good old days and wish we had stores like they do in other states. You will never find anything old in a Pa state store and the Whiskeys are few and slim! I asked the one worker about getting me Rittenhouse rye and he said No one wants rye! so much for the modern days. I am as I write enjoying a shot of Old Hickory from the bottle Kurt gave me and it is as good as it always was in the old days. You are all very Lucky to be able to buy from private Liquor stores The Pa system is something that to me is terrible. I would like to hear about Liquor stores in other states the good and the bad.
    Dave Z

Enthusiast

Re: Pa state stores now and the old days

As you know, Dave, I just moved to Pennsy from Jersey and the State Store system is one of the few things I don't like about my new home. There's just no room for innovation, for the individual store to cater to its customers. I'm not that far from Jersey, of course, so that is where I go to buy booze. Once in a great while they run sales in Pennsy that are too compelling to ignore. Like Wild Turkey Rye 101 for $15.95. They've had good specials on Lagavulin, too.

Another good place to shop is the Maryland/Delaware state line. I found the high-zoot Dickel there I'd never found in Jersey. But the liquor business in Jersey still seems about the best. Who knows what you'll find in a Jersey liquor store? Maybe an 20-year old bottle of Old Hickory!

- Kurt

Trippah and Admin

Just be careful if you shop across the border. There was an article from the Philly paper posted here recently regarding PA being po'd about people bringing in stuff from out of state. They do patrol some of the out of state stores now and then and will bust folks when they cross back over into the state. One of the state legislators was quoted as saying that they had a monopoly and didn't like people going around it.

We have the same kind of system in Ohio but without the nice website that allows you to search for inventory online. I read that the sales of liquor in Ohio generated about $350,000,000 in profits last year, so there's little incentive for the state to change the system.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Very true Dave. If you want vodka or tequila, then the world is your oyster. Scotch is decent selection. Bourbon? Rye??? Thin and getting thinner.

And you actually have a decent store near you in Collegeville. But even that place has an embarrassing bourbon selection. (Though I did pick up a bottle of Bruichladdich XVII on clearance there.)

The way they keep closing items out, it will be painful to see what our selection will be in two years.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Disciple

Boy Ron are you ever right about the Close outs. They used to have Old Overholt then the close out came and it will never return. When they did I quick got a couple of Bottles but they just keep getting more Wine and less Bourbon and very Little Rye! The Collegeville store is a nice store but Bourbon is few and far between!
    Dave

Disciple

Hey Kurt The State Stores sure do not make you happy when you move Here! If you ever Find another group of Old Hickory in NJ grab me some will gladly Pay to get some more. Had a Shot last Night and a toast to you for giving it to me. No matter What Kind of Bourbon I have it seems Old Hickory always just seems to be my Favorite. Guess working for them made my Taste Buds Like it more! But for what it cost back then it was quality Stuff which you know from testing it yourself! Did you see that Mr B. Neuman the grandson Of Si Neuman Publicker Chairman back then wrote me a note he liked what I have done to keep the History of Publicker Industries alive. Joined just to send me a note That was a thrill for me when I opened my Memories spot and saw the Name there. Hope all is well with you. Did you ever get any Reading Beer? I had one with my Old Hickory Last night!
    Dave

Apprentice

There's a reason for those two Roger Wilco's on 73 just before the Tacony.
    I apologize for the reporters, they're harder to escape then the Blue Demons cobra clutch!

Enthusiast

Boy, you said it!

You certainly hit the nail right on the head. I am lucky enough to live just a mile away from the "Premium" state store in Hummelstown, and just a 20 minute drive away from the one on Jonestown Road near Harrisburg. Those two stores at least carry a few things I might like.

It is absolutely sickening to see an entire frickin' WALL of NOTHING BUT VODKA, where continental whiskeys get maybe 6 feet of space, with the scotches getting maybe 9 feet of space. You'd think that the scotch selection would be decent, but, as a scotch drinker, I have to tell you that you'd be wrong. There are so many excellent scotch whiskies that I have never seen in a state store at any time.

As for continental whiskies, the thin, watery Canadian junk has more space allocated for it than American whiskies. Oh sure, there's a lot of Jack Daniel's. But the state didn't even bother to order ANY of the Sazerac Antique Collection this year. So, if anybody asks me how the 2007 THH or WLW taste, I would have to tell them I haven't the foggiest idea.

A privatized liquor store, run by someone in the know, in PA would easily trounce the state stores. I'm pretty sure that Fast Eddie and the rest of the PA state government realize this.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Guru

Re: Boy, you said it!

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Fast Eddie and the rest of the PA state government realize this.
    You betcha. No relief in sight.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

Re: Boy, you said it!

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    You certainly hit the nail right on the head. I am lucky enough to live just a mile away from the "Premium" state store in Hummelstown, and just a 20 minute drive away from the one on Jonestown Road near Harrisburg. Those two stores at least carry a few things I might like.

It is absolutely sickening to see an entire frickin' WALL of NOTHING BUT VODKA, where continental whiskeys get maybe 6 feet of space, with the scotches getting maybe 9 feet of space. You'd think that the scotch selection would be decent, but, as a scotch drinker, I have to tell you that you'd be wrong. There are so many excellent scotch whiskies that I have never seen in a state store at any time.

As for continental whiskies, the thin, watery Canadian junk has more space allocated for it than American whiskies. Oh sure, there's a lot of Jack Daniel's. But the state didn't even bother to order ANY of the Sazerac Antique Collection this year. So, if anybody asks me how the 2007 THH or WLW taste, I would have to tell them I haven't the foggiest idea.

A privatized liquor store, run by someone in the know, in PA would easily trounce the state stores. I'm pretty sure that Fast Eddie and the rest of the PA state government realize this.
    They have not had Pinwinnie Scotch since the days when Continental Distilling had import rights the last year 1979. You ask the guy he says what is Pinwinnie! And if you love Rye Whiskey as I do forget it, they keep discontinuing it only Bean left! And as far as special order lots of luck either they don't have it on their list or they say they can't get it right now what a joke it is Wine World. Fast Eddie and the boys must be getting a wine kick back or something!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon
    -------------------------------------------------