Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Crown Royal Limited Edition

I got back from Toronto tonight...unfortunately, I did not succeed in my mission to get to a LCBO with a good selection (they kept us busy and with training during the day and evening dinners etc. The LCBO by my hotel was closed by the time I had a chance to get into it..10-8:00..so I had to settle for the duty free shop. The selection at Pearson Intl Airport is somewhat limited...various bottlings of Crown Royal, Gibsons, Wisers De Luxe, VSOP etc. I did pick up a Crown Royal Limited Edition...I have not tasted it yet. I tried CR and Gibson's at the hotel bar...both are nice, light, easy drinking whiskys.

Interestingly, the Ltd Edition is not on the CR site:

http://www.crownroyal.com/

The CR Ltd Edition is 80 proof...The bottle states "Truly Majestic. Limited Edition is blended with distinguished batch-distilled whiskies to create an exceptionally smooth and rich taste that could only come from the kingdom of Crown Royal."

I will taste it soon....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_distillation

"Batch distillation[1] refers to the use of distillation in batches, meaning that a mixture is distilled to separate it into its component fractions before the distillation still is again charged with more mixture and the process is repeated. This is in contrast with continuous distillation where the feedstock is added and the distillate drawn off without interruption."

What is the purpose and effect of this process?
    Last edited by Jono; 10-21-2008 at 20:45.

Guru

Re: Crown Royal Limited Edition

A review was found here...for what it is worth:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Crown...t_403946376836

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Limited Edition is a good product, quite characterful. It is hard to understand just from the label description and the Wikipedia entry what is meant by batch distillation in this context. The key to my mind is what the distilling out-proof is of the batch whiskies. If they are in the range of that for bourbon or malt whisky, or Cognac, they would constitute the heavier-bodied whiskies that retain more congeners than whiskies matured from spirit distilled at 196 proof or in that range. I think Seagram distinguishes too between heavy and light batch whiskies, so it may use a range of distilling out proofs and of course different mashbills.

My sense is that the most recent products on the market here, e.g., Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve and Wiser's Small Batch, are using more batch whiskies in the sense mentioned. I believe a small-scale continuous still though can function as a batch for this purpose.

Gary

Connoisseur

I rate Crown Royal Limited Edition among my favourite Canadian whiskies. I have heard that it's a 15-year-old, if that makes any difference to you. I compared it side-by-side to regular CR, and it was definitely smoother, more full-bodied, and deeper in flavour. I noticed more brown sugar and spice notes along with the fresh, herbal CR profile.

anyone try the XR? how is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I rate Crown Royal Limited Edition among my favourite Canadian whiskies. I have heard that it's a 15-year-old, if that makes any difference to you. I compared it side-by-side to regular CR, and it was definitely smoother, more full-bodied, and deeper in flavour. I noticed more brown sugar and spice notes along with the fresh, herbal CR profile.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by velocci View Post
    anyone try the XR? how is it?
    The general consensus is that Cask 16 is better than XR especially for the $$.

I got to try Cask 16 when I was in Las Vegas earlier this month. Regular CR has always been one of my favorite whiskies. Sad to say, but the Cask 16 was somewhat of a disappointment to me. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of the Limited Edition in Germany and finished it off. I liked th ebottle design so I brought the empty home. Customs got a kick out of bringing back empty bottles from overseas. I thought the Limited Edition ranked between the Special Reserve and regular bottling.

I have an unopened XR and Cask 16. I had earlier tried the Cask 16 and it reminded me of Napoleon Champagne Cognac, evidently the cask had a significant impact on my bottle.

So far I like the Special Reserve best but that isn't to say that any of the other Crown Royal offerings are lesser whiskies. Dec 07 I got several CRSR bottles that were distinctly better than previous ones and I wondered if they had changed their blending formula or I was just lucky.

Cheers!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Yeah, the bottle is really nice. I liked it better than the Special Reserve, but I had them years apart so that is hardly a reliable judgement.

Enthusiast

For me, the Limited Edition is an oakier version of the regular CR. The Special Reserve is a whole different matter - one that has a family resemblance but far more depth and complexity for my money.

Tried the Cask 16 once and was not impressed. Guess I just didn't like the cognac influance. The XR is by far the best Cdn whisky I've had, but it still doesn't justify the price point IMHO. Still a Crown Royal but with a wonderfuly defined flavour profile - as if the painting was more vivid when compared to the regular CR.