Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Disciple

Jack Daniels' Gold Medal

In my main dusty spot (which is now, mostly, a former dusty spot), I have whittled everything down, but noticed something again that I have kept overlooking. I knew these were there, but never paid much attention . . . several Jack Daniels' Gold Medal bottles in cardboard boxes. I thought the date was 1841, but I didn't pay close attention . . . looking through the very few previous posts on this, I have gleaned that there were several variations released under different "years." Looking at the various bottles, this is definitely one of the short variety, I would guess the 1904.

I'm not especially interested in JD, but it's about $7 less than the SB and about $8 more than the Gentleman Jack -- I'm wondering if it's worth trying (or buying all up for trade bait).

I haven't seen any discussion about this on the board for the last few years. Who can tell me more about this?
    Last edited by funknik; 04-20-2009 at 05:39.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Re: Jack Daniels' Gold Medal

I talked to the Master Taster at Jack durring a grand opening at a local liquor store....He said it was just regular Jack Black bottled at 90 proof.

I bought a bottle a few years back...haven't opened it yet.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    I talked to the Master Taster at Jack durring a grand opening at a local liquor store....He said it was just regular Jack Black bottled at 90 proof.

I bought a bottle a few years back...haven't opened it yet.
    Thanks, Jeff. I don't think I'll buy them for drinking, then . . . they seem to get a pretty good price on eBay . . .

. . . that just ain't right.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

I prefer to wait to open a bottle until I get a second for the bunker....and I don't see that happening.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

I have 1 of 2 1981 Gold Medal's open that I bought and it was not a wise "consumption" purchase. At almost double the cost it's all about the bottle. It does look nice in the cabinet, but I don't visit it very often. I feel guilty for drinking it. Actually I should probably go ahead and polish it off so it will stop reminding me that I'm an ignorant fool.

Connoisseur

i don't know.

i actually liked the 90 version. was different, sure, but not 'lesser'...just different. same with the GJ....in deep autumn, sure, it's not what i like...but i am finding that i do like it on cooler spring days. and today!

but i polished off a 1981 'commemorative' bottle and it was a totally different beast than that ghastly 80 proof...10 degrees of proof must make a big difference chemically and to the taste buds...
    HUP!

Connoisseur

I saw the 1981 bottle you were talking about in.a DC store for around 23 bucks so I said what the heck. I have not opened it yet so I cant tell you much about it but the price seemed right.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

Red face Re: Jack Daniels' Gold Medal

slight bump...

went back to the store in new castle DE and bought the last bottle ("amsterdam 1981) on the shelf...$26 or so....it's a totally different beast than no. 7 black....and GJ (both at 80).

this is smooth with a slight bite and i guess closer to what JD used to be like. though 'light' compared to what i prefer (in deep autumn), this is quite the year-round sip. i recommend grabbing a bottle (no matter what the year or bottle-shape is!) if you see one.
    HUP!