Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: new in florida

new in florida

i'm new to the bourbon world, been a craft beer guy for ages. the extent of bourbon has been jack and makers mark. Any suggestions as to a couple new ones to ease me into the bourbon world.

Guru

Re: new in florida

Gibb,

Welcome to the group!

Maker's Mark is a wheat-recipe bourbon, and Jack Daniel's isn't a bourbon at all, strictly speaking. (There have been many discussions here on the latter point. If there's a consensus, it may be that JD could be a bourbon, but it isn't because its marketers prefer the name, "Tennessee Whiskey".)

Most bourbons are of the rye-recipe variety. (Of course by law bourbon must be made from a mash that contains at least 51% corn. Other grains are added for flavor or to promote fermentation.) Examples at about the same price as MM include Knob Creek, Russell's Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Single Barrel and Elmer T. Lee. Even though ETL and BT come from the same distiller, they taste quite different. Those few bottlings would give you a reasonable introduction to the variety of flavors available.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

If you are in Miami-Dade County I can give you some suggestions of places to look for better Bourbons.

I really like George Dickel better than Jack Daniels when it comes to Tennessee whiskey. I also really like Makers Mark too and have found it cheap ($35) for the 1.75l bottle at BJs. If you can find some of the Four Roses now coming into the state you should try that. Their Single Barrel is not to be missed but their Small Batch is also worthy of the purchase. You might hunt down some Eagle Rare. This is so sweet it can be drunk as an after supper drink. Don't neglect trying Wild Turkey. Their Rye is excellent as well as their regular 101 proof is excellent. Other Bourbons you might find worthy and are easily found in South Florida are Woodford Reserve and Old Grand Dad.

Welcome Gibb, MJL and bluesbassdad have made some good recommendations. A couple I would add, are Weller Special Reserve or Weller Antique 107. Both are good bourbons at really great prices. Hope we've helped some. Let us know how it goes. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Welcome Gibb... lots of good bourbon for you ahead. Try the BOTMs and you can also pick up some good bourbon with good discussion

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard! I can point you to some places if you are in the Tampa Bay area.

Knob Creek (rye), Bakers (rye), Pappy Lot B (wheat). All should be under $50 with them pretty much increasing in price from left to right.

Probally should've specified that i am in jax, anyway thanks for the help guys.