Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me recover from a mistake

2 months ago, I had about 5 too many pours of bourbon. Just eating and enjoying some bourbon but I crossed the line.

I didn't vomit. But I did feel sick.

Regardless, I've tried to enjoy bourbon like I used to. But my body is rejecting it. The smells are no longer so appealing. The taste is no longer appealing. I have no problem with other fine spirits.

Does anyone know how long it will take my body to recover from my mistake of having too many pours? Bourbon was by far my favorite spirit and the only one I would drink a pour or 2 daily and enjoy like a fine meal.

Connoisseur

Re: Help me recover from a mistake

I had a similar experience with other liquors. Unfortunately it took months for some and years for others.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    I had a similar experience with other liquors. Unfortunately it took months for some and years for others.
    I would agree with this statement.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Don't push it. Put the bourbon aside for a few months and enjoy something else. Good luck!

Last year about this time, I made a purchase of Drambuie and Cointreau. As will all liquors and liquers, I taste them neat initially.

Well, I enjoyed them BOTH at the same time a little too much. Cointreau is a staple of all my cocktails. Drambuie, unfortunately I also haven't recovered from that. But Cointreau I recovered from in about a weeks time.

I guess I'll enjoy Cognac for the time being. I just look at all my bourbon and reflect on how much I enjoyed them. At the present, I don't. I haven't recovered.

Disciple

Adjust your love of bourbon to history, distilleries and lore until your taste for the product returns. You might even expand your overall interest in whiskies from this experience.

Jeff Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Adjust your love of bourbon to history, distilleries and lore until your taste for the product returns. You might even expand your overall interest in whiskies from this experience.
    I have no problem with other wiskies. I have a 12 year old Highland Park scotch. I can enjoy that no problem. Its just Wild Turkey, Eagle Rare, and even Dickel (tennesee whiskey)

Disciple

I meant that you might learn something new which would increase your overall interest in bourbon or rye whiskies.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

A physiological reaction that dates back to caveman times -- if you were to suffer from an unrelated stomach flu immediately after enjoying a delicious steak, your body would turn you off steak. We're hardwired to avoid things that makes us sick (e.g. "don't eat those berries!")

Same thing happened to me with tequila that took a couple years to get past. (No, stomach flu wasn't involved, and I actually got off and back on twice -- I'm a slow learner!)

Try rye and/or Canadian whiskeys to work your way back to bourbon.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Guru

I agree with everyone else. It could possibly take years to overcome this new aversion. But, and I speak from experience, some day you will be able to enjoy bourbon, again. I wouldn't try to push the issue, either. Just wait until your mind can accept bourbon easily, again.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur