Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Underappreciated bottles?

Does anyone have some picks for whiskeys that get overlooked due to their low price or bottom shelf status? Or maybe some top shelf ones that are pushed out or overshadowed by bigger names (Beam Small Batch Behemoth dominates the top shelf at the stores I shop at)?

I have a few bottom & middle shelfers that I swear by:

Elijah Craig 12yr -- although I've had two disappointingly funky bottles recently, I think this bourbon tastes gorgeous -- smooth and silky without being sticky sweet. To me it tastes woody but mellow (not like it's 18yr grandaddy that tastes almost like a scotch) and has some nuances that I still can't really place. ($16.99 in ME)

George Dickel No. 12 -- I love this (I know it's from Tennessee, but I don't care)....it's the best deal out there, I think. This is so sweet and maple-ly with hints of cocoa and a little char -- the 90 proof really makes it bold, though. It's light-bodied but has a reasonable complex flavor and is, oh-so-drinkable. ($13.99 in ME)

WL Weller SR 7yr -- I tried this for the first time yesterday, so I still don't know for sure, but after my first tasting session I really like this. It honestly reminds of the Dickel but without the sweet -- very little rye taste (which is too bad, but distinctive), short finish. Again, at 90 proof this is robust enough. ($12.99 in ME)

Old Overholt (everyone groans!) -- I don't know why, but I like this a lot just neat. Certainly nothing special, but rye whiskey is so enjoyable and I get all wrapped up in the cool label and the story of the company and it's reputation -- An American classic. ($10.99 in NH)

So, definitely nothing too unusual as I'm kind of new to this, but I'd like to hear what other people think -- get some tips for what is an underappreciated gem.

Virtuoso

Re: Underappreciated bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Elijah Craig 12yr -- ($16.99 in ME)
    You have a great price on EC12. Here in KY we have watched it move from 18 to 20 to 22 and now it is around 24 most places.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    You have a great price on EC12. Here in KY we have watched it move from 18 to 20 to 22 and now it is around 24 most places.
    Wow! That's pricey...it's literally one shelf up from the bottom at the store -- next to Old Grandad.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    WL Weller SR 7yr -- I tried this for the first time yesterday, so I still don't know for sure, but after my first tasting session I really like this. It honestly reminds of the Dickel but without the sweet -- very little rye taste (which is too bad, but distinctive), short finish. Again, at 90 proof this is robust enough. ($12.99 in ME)

Put the Weller's aside for now.
    Do the ryed bourbons for a while.
    If you stumble on any Louisville Wellers buy them but hold them.
    Like I said, do the ryed bourbons for a while first.

BTW, $12.99 is a kick-ass price.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Put the Weller's aside for now.
    Do the ryed bourbons for a while.
    If you stumble on any Louisville Wellers buy them but hold them.
    Like I said, do the ryed bourbons for a while first.

BTW, $12.99 is a kick-ass price.
    Glad to know I'm getting a good deal. Why set aside the Weller? I do like the ryed bourbons, though -- and, of course, I like the rye whiskey. I just tried Basil Hayden for the first time this week and I liked it pretty well although I would like higher proof -- I thought it had a nice rye finish. It's a little pricey around here ($34.99), but across the border in NH I've seen it for $24.99 (cheaper than Knob Creek)! Another one I'm loving lately is Sam Houston 10yr which I think is very peppery and has a long rye finish with legs. Do you have any other suggestions?

Guru

No, no suggestions right now, but since you asked get a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed and give it some time.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    No, no suggestions right now, but since you asked get a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed and give it some time.
    Got one in my freezer right now -- bought it for my 30th birthday this summer....and it's almost gone. Hmmm, that IS good advice, I'll need another bottle.

Guru

OK, two more, Four Roses Single Barrel and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf and to hell with what I said about leaving the wheaters alone for awhile.
    ovh

Virtuoso

What's the difference in this thread and the under rated Thread?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=10938

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    What's the difference in this thread and the under rated Thread?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=10938

Tony
    Oh man oh man, leave it up to those East Siders to stir something up!!!
    ovh