Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

New member from Atlanta

Hello All,

After spending the last couple of months traveling to Lexington for business I've begun to gather an appreciation for Bourbon after spending my college years and later enjoying Tennessee Whiskey, Scotch, and red wine.

My background with Bourbon up until this point has been Maker's Mark, Beam, and Evan Williams which to me have always been too sweet for my taste. My other bourbon experience would be Woodford Reserve from my time spent on airplanes and Delta Crown Rooms. I purchased a bottle for home and find it to be a safe drink but nothing incredible like some of the single malt Scotches I've had.

My co-worker and I stumbled across the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection at the bar of the Lexington Marriott among many others and love these so far. We took the hard hat tour of the distillery and had a great time. While I recently purchased all 5 of the 2008 BTAC offerings these are obviously ones I want to hold on to for special times.

I've got a bottle of Buffalo Trace though I'm always looking for other spicy rye types. I am also looking for a decent wheated bourbon to add to my collection as well. I have some concerns about the sweetness of the wheat options but am willing to take a chance on something.

Re: New member from Atlanta

Welcome to SB. You've come to the right place if you want to learn more about bourbon. All you'd ever want to know about bourbon and more. The people here are great, and the amount of info and help you can find, is immeasurable. For some do it yourself help, try searching some of the old threads here. You never know what you might find. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Welcome to the Board, Shan.

Something that might help you is a list of bourbons from each distillery(found in the main area of SB). Also, check out some old threads about BT's different mashbills. That will help you know the differences between the different offerings and labels.
    Don't forget to give some of Wild Turkeys labels a try. My fav is the Turkey Green label rye.

Cheers!

Jeff Mo.

Thanks guys. I definitely willing to try new things and other distillery's offerings. We just stumbled across BT with the antique offerings while in the hotel and they got our attention with their other products when we vistied the distillery.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: New member from Atlanta

Welcome, Shan. It's good to finally see some new members from the Atlanta area. Those guys in Michigan can't have all the fun!! If you're enjoying your bourbon trek so far, prepare to kick it into overdrive here on SB.COM. A great group of folks, with a lot of knowledge. Better than that, they're just cool to hang with. I look forward to reading your posts.
    BTW, what part of town are you in? I'm in Marietta. Jimmy (Troyce on this site) is in Marietta, too. We often get together for bourbon tastings. If you're close, (heck, even if you're not close) we'll give you a heads up, and you can join us.

Cheers!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

I am in Marietta as well. Down Austell Road back behind Dobbins AFB. My liquor store of convenience is Mink's on Delk but sometimes I find myself at Bullock's or Sherlock's. Any places you know that have a good selection would be great to know.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shannichols View Post
    I am in Marietta as well. Down Austell Road back behind Dobbins AFB. My liquor store of convenience is Mink's on Delk but sometimes I find myself at Bullock's or Sherlock's. Any places you know that have a good selection would be great to know.
    Great. Those are the stores that I go to, as well. I have also made a trip or two to the Total Wines store up near Town Center Mall. Prices are very good there, selection is just OK. Although, they currently have a few WTAS and Rittenhouse 21's. I live close to the Sherlock's on Roswell Rd., and they recently got in all 3 iterations of Four Roses. Single Barrel, Small Batch, and Yellow Label. They have some Van Winkle Lot B, also. You mentioned on another thread that you're looking for another wheater to try. That would be a good one. Welcome, again! We'll have to hook up in the not to distant future.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

What's with all you Cobb County people claiming to be from Atlanta?

It's easier than explaining where Marietta is and avoids having to give directions to outsiders based on proximity to the Big Chicken.

Good answer Shan. You'll fit in nicely here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"