Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

hello from Schaumburg!

, IL (for anyone not from northern IL, I guess?).

I'm not sure how I stumbled onto bourbon. I was a fan of scotch for some time, although my financial resources make single malt a very rare thing (ie glenlivet 12y). If I remember correctly, I essentially decided to try something different. I then picked a bottle of Jim Beam up when I was at a Jewel for reasons I don't recall (probably to buy milk, as I have an addiction to Apple Jacks breakfast cereal. It may not taste like apple, but it's REALLY good). And Jim Beam was just... compared to some scotches that cost 4x that much. To abbreviate: omg.

So, after some browsing on these forums, and some browsing at the local Binny's, I decided to try Very Old Barton (90 proof). My reaction was quite wow. I don't think I've ever realized just how small an amount of liquid 750 mL actually is .

Anyway, I guess this post is as much an introduction as a request to the admin/mods to not delete me. I don't have much experience with describing tasting(s) of whiskey, so I don't know how useful my account would be besides being able to discern quickly threads I've yet to read (as in, without such experience, would my posting be somewhat useless?).

Thank you; good night (as it is almost 1 AM).

Guru

Re: hello from Schaumburg!

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin10 View Post
    , IL (for anyone not from northern IL, I guess?).

I'm not sure how I stumbled onto bourbon.
    you got lucky... and you are in for a great ride.. wonderful stuff and a great site... enjoy your stay and I look forward to your posts.. .a toast to you with some WT

Virtuoso

It sounds as if you'll fit in nicely! Don't sweat the petty stuff (knowledge will come in time from reading and experience), oh and don't pet the sweaty stuff (no explanation necessary ).

This is a great place to grow on your bourbon journey. Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Disclaimer - As ones bourbon knowledge grows, ones wallet seems to shrink...be careful.

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Welcome from a fellow Chicago suburban area SBer! There are a hand full of us in the area......feel free to contribute as you can...plenty of good help and information at your fingertips. Be sure to Search on a topic to see if there are any existing threads...many questions are answered in archives.

Funny how when guys (mostly) go to the store for necessities we tuck a few extras in the cart!

Another Illinois member. Hooray! Rockford here. I've been to your local Binny's once. Good place, although I hear the South Loop store is even better when it comes to bourbon. If you like bourbon, you'll like it here. Don't let your lack of bourbon experience limit your posts. Fell free to jump in with comments, questions or whatever. The folks here are extremely helpful with their info and advice. It's all good. Hope you enjoy it. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Welcome from North West of Peoria. Don't let your relative inexperience keep you from posting.