Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM, 11/08: Four Roses Small Batch

And I'm on record as liking it....

IMHO, best of the FR releases (with the exception of the 40th).

Not to say that the others are not very good....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

I have to say I really like Four Roses, I have quite a bit of the Single Barrel in the bunker! Per Jim Rutledge we will not see it in Michigan any time soon, hence the reason we run to Kentucky to get it.

Back on topic! Being the one Oscar gave the bottle to for a 500ml Old Taylor, let me just say...it is my least favorite Four Roses expression and I gave it 3 different evenings solo to see if it was me. Seemed to me there was too much going on and no one wanted to take a stand, I want to be fruity no spicy maybe floral now herbal now...Holy crap pick a profile already! I found it a mingled mess. Needless to say just like Oscar I gave the rest away!

Four Roses...you can't win em all! But I love the rest of em.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

Tony, I like the FRsmB a lot, but I get what you mean. I wouldn't call it a "mess," but I agree that it doesn't really seem to settle on one profile. I wouldn't turn one down though!

The Single Barrel is bolder and more direct to me, and rewardingly complex. Love it.

Cheers!

Enthusiast

I am a bit on the fence with regards to FRSmB and FRSB for that matter. The first time I had FRSB I really enjoyed it's profile, but the other night my pour tasted overtly herbal almost menthol like.

I picked up the same notes in FRSmB, but it was less upfront. I am not going to give up these bottles, they are still enjoyable.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Virtuoso

I find it to be dangerously drinkable.
    Yeah - what he said.

I find the taste balanced with a series of subtle hints that move into a refreshing minty finish. A light and very drinkable Bourbon. I have burned through two bottles in short order.

My very first taste left me with a "is that all there is?" feeling but after a few more sips I found myself really enjoying it. It was my expectations that were in the way.

It's like the shy girl next door of Bourbons. Not challenging dramatic or showy but approachable subtle and comfortable.

Taster

Nothing wrong with it, not a hell of a lot right with it either in my book. That being said, I do like the small batch much more than I like the single barrel. Both are very soft and have a definite feminine style. I suppose the small batch would have a usefull spot for situations with newer Bourbon drinkers.

I also like the small batch much more than I like the single barrel, but I also like all the offerings from 4 roses. I travel to Japan a lot, and I always get a bottle or 2 while on the trip.

I even enjoy the yellow label, as it is by far the easies to find. Last Christmas, they were going for 1000 yen per bottle. Which was about $9.25 for a 700ml.

I have a hard time paying ~$20 for a 750ml here.

Novice

I too enjoy the small batch more than the single barrel. It's like candy. It's one of those bottles you can share with people and most folks will like it. I find it to have all types of sweetness going on. Good enough bottle, usually have one of these around.

Bought a bottle today and I'm trying some as we speak. I agree with Tony. It seems like there's a lot going on with the flavors in this bourbon. The problem for me is, the tastes don't settle in and give you a definite profile. I know that for some people this is a desirable trait. Not for me though. I prefer one flavor that comes to the forefront and leads the way for other flavors. My first taste of FRSmB isn't quite what I expected. I prefer the FRSB at this time. I will revisit this bottle later and see what happens. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Trippah and Admin

It's my least favorite of the three standard FR bottlings. I got it after falling in lust with the Single Barrel and I recall that it left me wanting. I go back the the bottle now and again with the same results.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?