Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM, 11/08: Four Roses Small Batch

This is my favorite of the Four Roses line, for a number of reasons. One is the price of this bourbon. This bourbon is both delicate and complex and flavorful at the same time.
    I think I will have a pour tonight...
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Four Roses Small Batch just didn't grab me. I found it was pleasant, but certainly didn't love it. But given all of the good things that I have heard about FRSB and the entire line for that matter, I intend to revisit it.

SSWC

Advanced Taster

I tasted all three at the distillery back in August, and the difference was amazing between the three of them. Although I liked the Small batch, I thought the single barrel was much better. I brought a bottle of that home and will soon be breaking it open.

Mark

Connoisseur

i still can't find any....but am looking forward to december's BOTM....time's running out!
    HUP!

Enthusiast

I just picked this up a week ago, and sad to say I find it tolerable but not noteworthy. Was similarly unimpressed by the Binny's single barrel selection of Buffalo Trace; I suppose I'm just not a fan of gentle, soft drams.

(I specifically picked up Small Batch because at least from the end of Prohibition until the late 1940s/early 1950s, Four Roses was sold as a 90 proof blend of straight bourbon whiskeys. I figured this expression would be a great paeon to the brand's heritage.)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    I suppose I'm just not a fan of gentle, soft drams.
    While I don't have extended experience with FR, I'd have to argue that this is probably the house characteristic of their whiskey, or at least bottle expressions. I wouldn't call them gentle, but more like very well-rounded.

In some ways I enjoyed the Small Batch I recently finished more than the Single Barrel for the reason that the vatting of the former struck a nice balance, where the SB, while still a worthy bourbon, had some (expected) one-sided qualities.

Shoshani, have you tried any other bottles of theirs? (Also, how can you be member #8 and have so few posts? Just curious.)
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    Shoshani, have you tried any other bottles of theirs? (Also, how can you be member #8 and have so few posts? Just curious.)
    I did try their everyday 80 proof expression a few years ago, back when someone had to bring it to me from their road trip to Kentucky. This was long enough ago that it does not stick out in my memory...unlike 12 YO Wild Turkey which I miss.

I have few posts because I had long spells where I wasn't able to be on any of my discussion boards due to heavy work loads. I think I've posted more in the last two months here than I did for the entire period I'd been on here prior to two months ago.

Taster

While I've not yet tasted the small batch I do believe the single barrel is very good in a cup of coffee.

Let me also say I normally do not put anything in my coffee or in my bourbon, especially not in my bourbon.

something came over me one day and long story short I encourage all to try a shot of FRSB in their coffee.

Bill

Enthusiast

I'm finding that FRSB is growing on me of late; I like it much better than I did when I first opened the bottle.

The level of the whiskey is just about to the top of the label; the only thing I can guess is that the air exposure in the bottle brought out some subtleties that were hiding. Either that, or perception of whiskey tastes is ever-changing, and if one decides that one doesn't care for a particular whiskey one should just set it aside and try it a couple of weeks later...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    if one decides that one doesn't care for a particular whiskey one should just set it aside and try it a couple of weeks later...
    Very wise words.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.