Rather than bump the earlier thread, "The Rate of Maturation in the Barrel ", which I just reviewed looking for an answer to my latest question, I decided a new thread may be in order.

Also this pushes my dumb "Binny's" thread, which I wouldn't mind seeing whacked, out of the top spot.

Is it true that bourbon stored in the center of the warehouse is superior in some way?

(I have a nagging feeling that I've already asked this question lately. I just hope it wasn't here. )

About 25 years ago (hence my indistinct memory) I believe the tour guide at Jack Daniel's said something to the contrary along the following lines. (If true, it would apply just as well to bourbon production.) The barrels in the center of the warehouse are less influenced by temperature changes than those closer to the walls. Hence the whiskey from the center barrels interacts less with the wood and is lighter in color and flavor. The whiskey from those center barrels is bottled as green label; whereas the whiskey from the outer barrels, darker in color and more flavorful, is bottled as the more expensive black label.

I'm having trouble reconciling those assertions with references to "center cut" barrels as the source of the best bourbon in a given warehouse. I don't remember where I saw that expression lately, but it may have been in a StraightBourbon forum.

Could it be that "center cut" is just a metaphor?

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield