Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Cool .....far from Bourbon Country

Hello Everyone!

I'm Andy and I love Bourbon, it's been 12 hours since my last drink.

Over the past couple of years I have become obsessed with Bourbon (and American Whiskey in general), specifically with trying as many different kinds as possible. I feel I've done a good job of expanding my horizons and have had a lot of fun along the way finding fantastic whiskies at low, low prices.

Seriously. I love Bourbon. I wouldn't say I know a lot about it and I'm really only now getting comfortable talking about what I can taste, I'm certainly no pro. I'm also hindered by the fact that I live in Maine which is almost as far from KY as possible...my selection is very limited and even in the surrounding states there's not a whole lot of truly exotic bottles. But I do okay.

Does anyone know of where is a good place to buy Bourbon in Maine? Probably not, but worth a shot.

Another question I might ask is does anyone know a good way to cleanse the palate before tasting. I try to drink halfway between meals because I like to taste everything that the nectar has to offer and I'm a little compulsive about it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from y'all. See you in there.

Trippah and Admin

Re: .....far from Bourbon Country

You can see a list of what is available in Maine here

There's a list of monthly specials as well as the entire catalog in CSV format. Unfortunately, they don't break it out by type like other states, so it will take some digging.

Some interesting stuff that I see on the list:

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit for 40.99
    Weller Centennial for 28.99
    Weller SR for 12.99
    Very Special Old Fitzgerald for 32.99
    Old Grand Dad Bonded for 17.99
    Old Charter Prop Reserve for 34.99
    J.W. Dant 100 for 15.99
    Evan Williams Single Barrel for 27.99
    Elijah Craig 12 Yr for 17.99
    Blantons for 43.99

Since their website isn't very user friendly, I would suggest that you place a call to the Maine Beverage Company and ask them if any retailers in your area carry specific items that you find on the list. Be prepared to give them a SKU from the list on the other site if it will help expedite the search.

If they are like Ohio, they can tell you who in your area has the items in stock,

Good luck with your search.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Wow, thanks, I didn't even know the states did that! Great find!

Guru

Welcome Andy.....

Just quick Google search on Maine "distillers" generated this:

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/05/23/...the-beginning/

Diary of a Distiller: Chapter One - Back to the Beginning

Posted May 23rd 2008 11:00AM by Jonathan M. Forester
    Filed under: Diary of a Distiller

Penobscot Bay Distillery and Brewery
    http://jonathanforester.com/wst_page5.html
    > Bourbon whiskey is a listed product.."under development"...your mission, if you accept it, is to track down Maine's contribution to the world of bourbon and report back.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'm Andy and I love Bourbon, it's been 12 hours since my last drink.

Over the past couple of years I have become obsessed with Bourbon (and American Whiskey in general), specifically with trying as many different kinds as possible. I feel I've done a good job of expanding my horizons and have had a lot of fun along the way finding fantastic whiskies at low, low prices.

Seriously. I love Bourbon. I wouldn't say I know a lot about it and I'm really only now getting comfortable talking about what I can taste, I'm certainly no pro. I'm also hindered by the fact that I live in Maine which is almost as far from KY as possible...my selection is very limited and even in the surrounding states there's not a whole lot of truly exotic bottles. But I do okay.

Does anyone know of where is a good place to buy Bourbon in Maine? Probably not, but worth a shot.

Another question I might ask is does anyone know a good way to cleanse the palate before tasting. I try to drink halfway between meals because I like to taste everything that the nectar has to offer and I'm a little compulsive about it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from y'all. See you in there.
    Welcome!

I have a question, if you don't mind. Are the sort of guy who enjoys the destination more or the journey?

If it's the former, I suggest you get a copy of this book. The author is a member and frequent contributor here.

OTOH if you don't mind becoming educated in tiny increments over the next year or five, just keep hanging out here.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

I would definitely consider myself a journey guy (although Journey is the worst band ever! ), but I do look forward to the day when I can walk into the store with more confidence. Nowadays I almost never buy a bottle twice, because I always want to try something new.

I am also a romantic -- meaning if something is more obscure or difficult to track down I'll tend to like it more. Likewise, if there's a great story behind a particular distillery or bottle I may build a soft spot for it. I'm a nostalgic soul and I love that there are laws, rules and traditions that dictate how liquor must be made, presented and described.

"I am the draught beer preservation society."

Guru

I would definitely consider myself a journey guy (although Journey is the worst band ever! ), but I do look forward to the day when I can walk into the store with more confidence. Nowadays I almost never buy a bottle twice, because I always want to try something new.

I am also a romantic -- meaning if something is more obscure or difficult to track down I'll tend to like it more. Likewise, if there's a great story behind a particular distillery or bottle I may build a soft spot for it. I'm a nostalgic soul and I love that there are laws, rules and traditions that dictate how liquor must be made, presented and described.

"I am the draught beer preservation society."
    Then you might enjoy Chuck's video even more than his book. The video isn't as informative, by a long shot, but it is a wonderful tribute to the tradition of bourbon production.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    You can see a list of what is available in Maine here

There's a list of monthly specials as well as the entire catalog in CSV format. Unfortunately, they don't break it out by type like other states, so it will take some digging.

Some interesting stuff that I see on the list:

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit for 40.99
    Weller Centennial for 28.99
    Weller SR for 12.99
    Very Special Old Fitzgerald for 32.99
    Old Grand Dad Bonded for 17.99
    Old Charter Prop Reserve for 34.99
    J.W. Dant 100 for 15.99
    Evan Williams Single Barrel for 27.99
    Elijah Craig 12 Yr for 17.99
    Blantons for 43.99

Since their website isn't very user friendly, I would suggest that you place a call to the Maine Beverage Company and ask them if any retailers in your area carry specific items that you find on the list. Be prepared to give them a SKU from the list on the other site if it will help expedite the search.

If they are like Ohio, they can tell you who in your area has the items in stock,

Good luck with your search.
    Since Scott so helpfully sent me this, I've picked up (if not sampled) almost all of these...
    Here's what's left...
    Can't find Weller Centennial...that'll be a dusty hunt...haven't gone for the OGD BIB, EWSB (it's about $5 cheaper in NH plus I have a $5 rebate coupon) or WTKS yet (a little pricey and I've been happy with the RB). So, making my way through the list, though. Thanks again, Ox.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Can't find Weller Centennial...

And you were so close to getting some of the 13yr Centennial last night... mighty fine stuff

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    And you were so close to getting some of the 13yr Centennial last night... mighty fine stuff
    go ahead...rub it in....
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy