Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What Did Santa Bring?

Kind of surprised this thread wasn't started earlier but I'll kick it off.

Several family members got together and today I have a bottle of the Parker Heritage 27 year old Bourbon. This is an extravagance I never would have gotten myself so needless to say I am very happy to have one.

I'm enjoying the holiday season in Rochester, NY where I have happened on a local liquor store with bourbon holdings that rival the best of NYC. The head of the bourbon department has done single barrel selections of ET Lee, Saz Jr., WT Kentucky Spirit, and two different barrels of Weller Centennial. They don't ship which may explain why so much good stuff is still on the shelf. From what I understand about the forum rules, I shouldn't advertise the name of the retailer here, but if anyone in the Rochester area is looking for some special holiday cheer, PM me and I'll pass the name on to you.

I'm also thinking about doing a Rochester tasting sometime in the next few weeks so SB members in the area who might be interested should also drop me a line.

Merry Christmas to all!

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru

Smile Re: What Did Santa Bring?

My wife and I just got a few small things. I got a couple of movies on BluRay, the new Stephen King book, and an assortment of Wickles pickles. My wife got a Rabbit corkscrew and a few other things.

My sons got the good stuff. Both got the top-model RipStick. The 17-year old got the new Guitar Hero World Tour set. The 10-year old got a Sony PSP handheld video game. They both got games.

Not a really big Christmas, but the important thing is everybody seems happy.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Re: What Did Santa Bring?

I had an extremely bountiful Christmas. One bottle of McAffe's Benchmark, one bottle of Seagrams Benchmark, two decanters of ER 101, three bottles of Weller Centennial, a $100 gift certificate to my favorite local liquor store, and a partridge in a pear tree. Triple Ho! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Last week, in our office secret Santa, I got a copy of Bourbon at it's Best by Ron Givens. Today I got The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry In Kentucky by Sam K. Cecil, The Book of Classic American Whiskeys by Mark H. Waymack and James F. Harris, and this DVD called Made & Bottled in Kentucky. :] My cousin also brought me a bottle of Pennsylvania Dutch pre-mixed Egg Nog. Among the non bourbon related presents I got the best of the bunch was a WD TV box that my brother got me. You plug a flash drive or a USB hard drive that has video or music files on it into it and it plays them back on the TV, the movies get upscaled to 1080p! :]
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Trippah and Admin

Bourbon related stuff: The old fashioned telephone Beam decanter and Bourbon at it's Best by Ron Givens. The "praying for a snow day soon" present was the Dirty Harry DVD box set.

Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya PUNK?!?!
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Huge snifter...mmmmm....
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

Some T. H. Handy 2008. Thank you very much. I've never had it and I'm looking forward to trying it. Merry Christmas to all.

Andy - nice pic!

Scott - Make my day!

Jim
    Last edited by onmytrack; 12-25-2008 at 21:03.

Guru

Christmas eve I let my brother in law pick....he had never had Wathen's SB....and between us...we finished it off....plenty of food etc.

Currently I am going through hi-tech hell....we got a family gift...a Sony LCD and I had it installed on the wall....everything was fine but I was waiting for a new receiver to arrive....my old one broke a power button on Christmas Eve about 1 hr before people were to arrive. I ran around thinking I could stretch a cable from the Dish receiver to the tv as a stop gap...then I got home..saw the new reciever box on the doorstep..and....well, let us say that hooking everything up has not been successful. I have connnected things every which way...I get audio...no video....at least we could play DVDs connected right into the t.v. and Wie. Sooo, I will have to have the tech guy come back to help with the hook up. Plus, all of a sudden only 1 of my satellite speakers is working...they were before disconnecting from the old receiver...I suppose the new one could be a lemon. Arrrhhhhhh I hate dealing with hi tech gear. Whatever happened to plug and play?

Enthusiast

I got the ususal girlie things, but what my 22 year old son got was so funny! He and his cousins draw names, and my 2year old nephew drew my son's name. Despite his youth and living halfway across the country from my son, he got him the perfect gift: a set of shot glasses and a cocktail book. Well... maybe the parents were involved in this gift selection, too!!

Guru

At least now, with a phone call, I managed to get the t.v. & receiver connected....next...putting all back on the shelves...wire hell.