Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Shine on Georgia Moon

I bought a bottle of Georgia Moon, 100 proof. The idea was to see what pure corn tasted like as I developed my palate. Now that I have tasted it, I don't know how could finish the stuff unless I find a suitable mixer.

Do any of you have suggestions on good ways to mix Georgia Moon?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post

I have a theory: Until you can learn to appreciate the flavors in unaged whiskey, straight, you are unworthy to partake of the more aged whiskies that are on offer.

Many will disagree, but I will say that those who disagree are weak and unwilling to take the time to learn properly.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I have a theory: Until you can learn to appreciate the flavors in unaged whiskey, straight, you are unworthy to partake of the more aged whiskies that are on offer.

Many will disagree, but I will say that those who disagree are weak and unwilling to take the time to learn properly.

I think you are being a little tongue-in-cheek, but what you say has merit.

You can taste HH in GM and you can discern what was essentially GM in EW Black.

At times I do wish I lived in KY so that I could sample white dog from various distillers and do so frequently enough to be educational.

Virtuoso

Yow, that's pretty hardcore!

I had some white dog last year at Four Roses and just loved it. Not as astringent as I was expecting. It was warm and rich in the same way that really good grappa is. Very educational, too. I'd buy it if FR would sell it!

Cheers!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    I bought a bottle of Georgia Moon, 100 proof. The idea was to see what pure corn tasted like as I developed my palate. Now that I have tasted it, I don't know how could finish the stuff unless I find a suitable mixer.

I gave my jar to my college-aged son to mix with his fellow house mates.

Guru

Hey Squash, I don't care for this stuff either but you can mix it with most any of the usual mixers. I would choose something citrus based.

Disciple

I agree with this theory. I love tasting the white dog / spirit, then going through a flight of aged bourbons from the same distiller. What happens for me, is that subtle undertones emerge that I usually discount. Those undertones end up being like a signature from the distillery for me. Darn...now I'm thirsty.

Guru

My theory is I shouldn't drink anything I don't like.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like corn whiskey and, for that matter, bourbon new make, but a little goes a long way. It's just very rare that I approach my bar, with everything I have available, and decide what I'm in the mood for is corn whiskey.

One tip I would give is treat corn whiskey the same way you do white tequila.

Advanced Taster

I mixed some with Sprite, my theory being that corn whiskey might go well with corn sweetener, and it worked.

I have a friend who likes almost nothing containing alcohol, and she thought it tasted nearly like plain Sprite, a good thing for her. She even preferred it to ginger and rye.