Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Cloudy Bourbon Question

After opening a 1.75 liter bottle, I place it on a shelf in a pantry and pour a modest drink each evening. I have noticed that after 10 days or so, the remaining liqour sometimes gets cloudy and the bite diminishes. Can someone explain what is happening and if this can be avoided.
    Thanks, GB

PS: I can not find a way to correct the spelling of Bourbon in the posting title. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 11-01-2008 at 01:32. Reason: Cloudy Bourbon Question

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Cloudy Boubon Question

This has never happened to me; if the closure is well-secured, I can't imagine why this would happen. It sounds like air is getting in and some alcohol is evaporating. You might check the tightness of the closure, but otherwise I can't think of a reason to explain this. Many here open bottles which are decades old in some cases and they are usually fine (unless again a loose closure has allowed too much air in, but that is unusual except for bottles that are quite old).

Gary

Disciple

Bourbon can turn cloudy becuase of colder temperatures. Have you seen a recent cold front move through?

IIRC, Jeremy uses a cappucino airator to put some age on his bourbon....maybe this could work to clean up your situation. He airates for a few minutes and I believe he lets it sit for a minute or two.
    Last edited by mozilla; 10-30-2008 at 08:13.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's true Jeff, perhaps something stored in a cold room might be affected, still, seems unusual. Maybe try another brand and see if the same happens..

Gary

Disciple

What label it your bourbon? Could it not be chill filtered?

Jeff Mo.

Taster

Not to be a smart A$$, but a good percentage of complaints I have seen on cloudy and less bite whiskey have been discovered to come from a younger member of the houshold sneaking sips and replacing volume with water which would cause cloudiness over time, coke, and tea. Not that I want to get any Jr. Bauer's in trouble...

Etohchem
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Who brought the chips?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by etohchem View Post
    Not to be a smart A$$, but a good percentage of complaints I have seen on cloudy and less bite whiskey have been discovered to come from a younger member of the houshold sneaking sips and replacing volume with water which would cause cloudiness over time, coke, and tea. Not that I want to get any Jr. Bauer's in trouble...

Etohchem
    Gee! I did that 45 years ago. I used water at the time.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Water, I confess.

Gee, that might be just about the only think you and I have in common.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    After opening a 1.75 liter bottle, I place it on a shelf in a pantry and pour a modest drink each evening. I have noticed that after 10 days or so, the remaining liqour sometimes gets cloudy and the bite diminishes. Can someone explain what is happening and if this can be avoided.
    Thanks, GB
    Whiskey will naturally get cloudy when water is introduced unless it is chill filtered. If you have enough airspace in the bottle and it gets cool enough to cause condensation in the bottle it could cause some cloudyness but the taste shouldn't be affected unless the introduction of a slight amount of water is enough to cause what we call "cracking the spirit" and that is to cause just enough reaction to change the taste a little. Just a drop of water in a shot of whiskey can cut down the astringency of the alcohol and give it a sweeter or drier taste.

The other theory of a phantom sampler also sounds highly likely. Maybe you have had some extra help, "cracking the spirit." To catch the phantom add a healthy pour of 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol. Later look for family members and friends with slurred speech.

Cheers!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I just drank from the liquor at my friend's houses.