Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from Northern Ireland

Hello guys and girls, i have been looking through the forums for about a month now, and thought it was about time i introduced myself, my name is Gareth and i am from Belfast, Northern Ireland . I have been really impressed with the knowledge of all the users. I am just starting out on the bourbon trail, and am keen to find out more about the different types and brands of bourbon. Straight off the bat i am going to ask a question, my local liquor store doesnt have a great choice of bourbon, the last time i checked they had, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam white & black and Woodford Reserve. Are any of these worth buying? And finally, is it acceptable to mix bourbon with coke or other mixers, or is that considered ruining it? Thanks for accepting me into straightbourbon and i look forward to your reply...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Hello from Northern Ireland

Welcome, Gareth! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas during your journey on the bourbon trail, as it's alway nice to here perspectives from folks from around the world. Yes, you're right, that's not the greatest selection of bourbons and Tennessee whiskey (Jack D) you have there. But, it's a fine place to start. If it were me, I'd get 'em all! I would rate the Beam Black and Woodford as the best. Beam white is rather pedestrian, but OK nonetheless. The Jack is OK (OK, so I'm a little biased against Tennessee Whiskey ).
    Around here in Bourbonia, it is entirely acceptable and encouraged to drink your bourbon any way you like it. Neat, over ice, mixed with coke. Heck, if you enjoy snorting it up your nose, then have at it! It's all about what YOU like!

Again, welcome and have fun.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Welcome to the family. Hope you enjoy the journey.

As a wise man once said (and to paraphrase here), " You know what you get when you mix the best bourbon in the world with Coke? .... The best bourbon and Coke you will ever drink."

Try everything and drink what YOU like. May I suggest finding a local tavern with a good selection and let your wallet be your guide.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Guru

I know this is in Dublin but it is a source:

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp...56&t=262387406

Some very good selections...Buffalo Trace, Weller, Handy.

Guru

Welcome Gareth.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Novice

Thanks for the responses guys. It is rather depressing being a Bourbon drinker in Ireland. We tend to drink Irish whiskey more than Bourbon. I am going to take your advice and buy a bottle of woodford reserve, a bottle of jbb and a bottle of jbw, and try each of them neat. What should you be looking for when you first sample a bourbon neat? I remember going on a wine tasting holiday in the south of france a few years ago, it was my first time drinking wine. When the people were tasting them they saying things like " i can really taste the coco butter in this one and, this one tastes like crab cakes mixed with dirty socks", to be honest i wasn't tasting any of these flavours. What are the most common flavours you get when trying bourbon?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

To help in your tasting experience with bourbon, I would recommend that you take a look at the TASTING forum, and look at the 7 stickies at the top titled "How to evaluate the different tastes in Bourbon", authored by Marvin. They are fantastic in helping you identify what you're nosing, tasting, etc. I have them printed out, and refer to them often. Also, on the opening page of this website, there is a a thing titled "Tasting Notes". The official tasting vocabulary is there. Good Luck and Enjoy!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Novice

I think woodford reserve is an excellent bourbon and one of my favorites. In saying that, i am also new on the trail and am trying new bourbons all the time. i have a new favorite almost every time i open a bottle! I dont enjoy jim or jack(jack isnt really bourbon), as i believe they are overrated. I suggest trying it over rocks with a splash of water. I stick to canadian whiskey when im mixing with coke, which is not very often.

Novice

For all the new people to the forum, i just watched a video on youtube and found it very interesting. It teaches you the basics on tasting bourbons, and familiarizes you with some of the lower priced bourbons, as well as some small batch ones. If you look at the related videos on the side, there are three more parts to the video. If you haven't watched it before, i hope you enjoy it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfA5E_x8XU

Guru

Welcome, Gareth!

I see two bourbons in your profile that you didn't mention in your post. I assume you've tried them (Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace) even though they are not readily available at your location. Am I correct?

If so, you may find that Jim Beam Black tastes a little familiar. To my taste it's like Knob Creek's little brother. I like Jim Beam Black, though not as well as Knob Creek. I don't drink Jim Beam White; I'd rather have light American beer from a can. Most folks here think I go overboard in my criticism of that bottling.

Woodford Reserve has a reputation for variability. I have made no attempt to keep up with which bottlings are better or worse. As I recall from posts by insiders, the brand was conceived as the vehicle for marketing pot-stilled bourbon to be produced at a new plant. Plans changed, so distillate that would have become Old Forester was shipped to the new plant. I believe the pot-still bourbon production came on line and it was added to the mix. IIRC, it was at that point when many Woodford Reserve fans jumped ship.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 11-05-2008 at 15:41.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,