Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from Ashland(transplant from Pittsburgh)

im new to bourbon tasting, but im glad i found it. it can get quite addictive though... why didnt anyone tell me that!!! anyway, i would just like to post some of my favorites and maybe have some of you evaluate them and advise me on them and other bourbons. i am new so i have a new favorite all the time. thanks for the advice!

Woodford Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Bulleit(the value of this moderately priced bourbon, i believe, is incredible)
    Makers Mark
    Ridgemont Reserve

Guru

Re: Hello from Ashland(transplant from Pittsburgh)

So many recommendations will come your way!

Just a few...

Any Buffalo Trace product / Elmer T Lee
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
    Rye...inexpensive..Rittenhouse BIB
    Evans Williams SB, Old Forester Signature...both very smooth.
    Weller Antique 107...and on...Four Roses SB

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by branch_water View Post
    Woodford Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Bulleit(the value of this moderately priced bourbon, i believe, is incredible)
    Makers Mark
    Ridgemont Reserve

Not a bad starts.. Jono gave you some good leads as well..

Keep you eye out for the BTAC:
    Gerorge T. Staggs (buy one)
    William L Weller (buy two)
    Eagle Rare (buy one)
    Sazerac (maybe get teh 6 yr saz first)
    Thomas Handy (hold off on this one for a while...)

They all have the same looking bottle.. .and they will all be a kick in the pants for you...

I look forward to your adventure throught the bourbons

Guru

Branch-Water....Frankfort appears to be a couple of hours from you...good place to start with a visit to Buffalo Trace for a tour and sampling. There is a restaurant downtown called Serafini that has a great bourbon collection...stop in and sample a few...they can serve a flight of 4. It is not cheap to sip fine bourbon in bars...but if you can swing it can be rewarding...our meal was pretty good too.

Serafini
    243 W Broadway St
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    (502) 875-5599

Welcome Brendan, You are almost exactly the same as I was when I found SB. My selection of bourbons was, Maker's, Knob Creek, and Woodford. What a difference a year or so can make. I still have those bourbons on hand, and I still enjoy them, but I have moved on to bigger and better things. There is just so much great stuff out there. You're gonna have a good time! So, buckle up, and hang on. It's gonna be a helluva ride! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

I really appreciate all the help. I do want to take a trip through bourbon alley, seeing that i am really close to all of those distillers. i wish i would have started drinking bourbon a bit earlier, because i heard the bourbon festival is awesome and i just missed it... What are some of the bigger and better bourbons that you recommend and where can i find them? thanks again!

Novice

I hate to bump this post, because I know it's annoying when people do it, but I just bought a bottle of Basil Hayden's 8 yro(which is now one of my favorites, incredibly smooth though lacks a bite, being 80 proof) and it has a tasting note I'm detecting but cant finger. I believe it might be cinnamon, but i cant be sure. Maybe it's the pepper flavor interacting with the honey, I don't know, but it's driving me crazy!! I appreciate any help. Thanks!
    Last edited by branch_water; 11-07-2008 at 21:06.

Guru

Living in KY you have access to the full range of bourbons produced so it should be fairly easy to find a good liqour store:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=o...e-results&cd=2

Basil Hayden has spotty reviews here...it was recommended to me as one of my first bourbons....it is ok but to me not worth the premium price. You might be tasting a rye component...I get a lot of wood taste. For a good rye flavor try Rittenhouse BIB...no comparison.

http://www.whisky-pages.com/notes/country.php?id=us

"Basil Hayden’s is an eight-year-old whiskey produced to a high-rye formula. The nose of Basil Hayden’s is light, aromatic and spicy, with soft rye, wood polish, spices, pepper and vanilla on the palate."

p.s. now that my bottle of BH is almost gone...it seems to taste a little better to me...oh well.
    Last edited by Jono; 11-07-2008 at 21:30.