Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

A Blended Scotch that I really Like !

About a week ago I was in Nj And looking around and found a brand of Blended Scotch I had read about once. White Horse blended and I really Like it It has great flavor and is very smooth to drink. I have now found that Pa has this brand at some of their stores which is good news but they charge $3. more so much for their story of how good their prices are. I have been enjoying this Scotch on the rocks now for a week and will be getting more I even like it as much maybe more then my old Vintage bottle of Inver House from 1978 one of the last of the Continental Bottlings. I have never paid much Att: to Scotch have some Spey Burn Single malt it is OK but there is something about the flavor of this Blend I really Like. I wondered If anyone else has had this and what your thoughts are on White Horse Blended Scotch.
    Dave Z
    Inver House Soft As A Kiss
    ----------------------------

Advanced Taster

Re: A Blended Scotch that I really Like !

White Horse is a great blend and I always have it on hand. Teacher's is another I always have as well. Try White Horse straight up it's even better!

Guru

Dave...take a look over this thread...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=9511

Dranac Lihp has quite a few tasting comments.
    Last edited by Jono; 09-18-2008 at 07:18.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    White Horse is a great blend and I always have it on hand. Teacher's is another I always have as well. Try White Horse straight up it's even better!
    Gov thanks White Horse straight tonight it is so smooth, it will always be on hand for me. Also Thanks Jono very interesting thread about that other scotch I will try it sometime. White Horse is so smooth it reminds me in that way of My Old hickory Bourbon, smooth all the way down. I will be making my Bourbon share some time with White Horse I like it that much! Question for you both has either of you had Pinwinnie Blended Scotch. It is not available here anymore but when I worked for Continental it was our Product and from what I was told was Wonderful. I never got to try it but I have a vintage 1/10 from the Plant that I am going to try sometime. I know even though it was a blended it was very exspensive then and I would guess now. The finding of White House is very nice for me as I did not really care for Glen Levit when I had it and my Spey Burn is ok but I mostly like a shot of My old Inver House Bottle but the old stuff is almost gone and I find White Horse an amazing replacement.
    Dave Z
    -------------------------
    Inver's In

Guru

Pinwinnie Blended Scotch....sorry, no history with that one.

Disciple

Have you ever Had Grants Blended Scotch as I see it is on sale here in Pa. For a nice Price just wondered how does it compare to White Horse, I might give it a try. I bought a beautiful Whiskey Tumbler Glass at a yard sale in NJ that has grants written on it.
    Dave Z

Guru

Almost all of my experience is with Single Malts...however...Grants is considered an "ok" blend..they have some special bottling that may be better if you can find them...there is a thread on Grant's -

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ghlight=Grants

.....the most highly spoken of Scotch blends are:
    Famoust Grouse, Teachers & White Horse

Disciple

Here is what the Pinwinnie Bottle looks like it is suposed to be the best Blended scotch you can get? I know when Publicker had and made it the Neuman Family aways got some at the Plant During Holidays with a special Gate pass when it came in. They would tranport it with their 10 ocean Liners with barrels of Scotch from over there of our Other Scotchs such as Glen Mavis,And of Course our most famous Inver House Red plaid & Green Plaid to bottle here at Linfield Pinwinnie was always bottled in Scotland. and then go back with USA Products and bundled Barrels for use in Scotch!
    Dave Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-18-2008 at 12:23.

Advanced Taster

No Pinwinnie for me either, never seen it. Grant's Family Reserve is a good blend. It is much more laid back than WH (not much peat or smoke at all). It is fairly mild, flowers and young fruits. I liked it and its a great value

Enthusiast

As far as easy to find blends I really like Teachers, White Horse and Famous Grouse. These are all quite cheap and easily found. There may other blends that are nice but the above are my choices now; until I try some of the more pricey ones. I will say Dewars White label is not something I will ever feel the compunction to revisit again.