Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

Oftentimes in a bar or restaurant I will order a bourbon "straight" or "neat", which I assume to be interchangeable, and I will get bourbon on the rocks, while I am expecting a glass with nothing but bourbon in it.
    I know "neat" means no rocks, no nothing, but could "straight" honestly allow for just bourbon, but with ice?

Virtuoso

Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

The meaning of "straight" seems to be regional or perhaps even less well defined than that. Here is a thread that may be of interest.

Roger

I was at my local bar the other night and order WT101 neat and the bartender who I thought was knowledgeable said I don't know what that means.

Virtuoso

I always order neat.

75% of the time they know what that means
    30 % of the time I have to explain that neat meand "out of the bottle and into the glass"

5% of the time I get a "chilled" (shaken with ice then drained off)
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I always order neat.

75% of the time they know what that means
    30 % of the time I have to explain that neat meand "out of the bottle and into the glass"

5% of the time I get a "chilled" (shaken with ice then drained off)
    Wow, 110%.

Both "straight" and "neat" get me room tempurature bourbon in a glass here in Japan. "Straight up" always gets me shaken with ice then drained off.

Novice

The only way I am ever able to predict what I am going to get is if I order "neat" and speak very very clearly. If I do anything else, it's anyone's guess how the bartender might serve me. Usually the mistake they make is to serve it in a shot glass, but I have gotten rocks on occasion.

I will sip out of a shot glass, but I send it back if it comes on the rocks.

Apprentice

One time I ordered "Pappy neat" and this is what I got ...........................

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3862&dateline=1216772  641 I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!

Novice

My mom's maiden name is Neat, and they called her grandfather (her father's father) "Pappy Neat". Is that my great-grandpa?

Disciple

Usually if I order a quality bourbon, my bartender asks me, "Neat?" because they know how it should be served. In New England instead of "straight", I tend to hear "up" although typically used to describe a mixed drink (manhattan, martini) which may explain the strained ice.

Connoisseur

In Europe and Korea where drinking is a national sport of the common man I have never been able to communicate my desire to be served a premium bourbon or scotch in the proper glass without ice. Usually, I follow the waitress to the bar and provide an entertaining dissertation on the proper serving and then the bartender hands the waitress a rocks glass with lots of ice and a carefully measured dram of whisky. The waitress then turns and hands me the glass of fouled nectar with a puzzled look on her face as if I may be the very first neanderthal man she has ever served. If she's really cute and has good cleavage then I smile and go sit down. If not, then I just go sit down.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.