Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    580

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    I just hand one of these to the waitress.

    CARD.jpg
    Dale

    "All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

  2. #22
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    3,399

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I was at my local bar the other night and order WT101 neat and the bartender who I thought was knowledgeable said I don't know what that means.
    I have found that (truly) knowledgeable bartenders are a rapidly vanishing species.
    John B

    "Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

  3. #23
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Pelham, AL
    Posts
    3,882

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Quote Originally Posted by OGD90proof View Post

    Is a side kicker sacrilege here?
    Not the side kicker, but the Diet Coke is. At least, to me.

    Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Pelham, AL
    Posts
    3,882

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I have found that (truly) knowledgeable bartenders are a rapidly vanishing species.
    Sad, but true. However, if you order a chocolate raspberry "martini", they will be all over it. Just don't expect them to understand anything about traditional bar methods.

    Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

  5. #25
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,281

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Sad, but true. However, if you order a chocolate raspberry "martini", they will be all over it.

    Like you said Tim, sad but true.
    Ya hafta laugh.
    ovh

  6. #26
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,375

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    "Neat" is the best order and if that draws a blank look, say "just whiskey in a glass." Language barriers notwithstanding, that usually works. If the place seems hopeless, I drink beer.

  7. #27
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Posts
    126

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Never had any trouble when ordering "neat", however based on the varied response to this question, I suggest a pocket flask of your favorite and just ask for a glass.

    Jim

  8. #28
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    3,399

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Quote Originally Posted by onmytrack View Post
    Never had any trouble when ordering "neat", however based on the varied response to this question, I suggest a pocket flask of your favorite and just ask for a glass.

    Jim
    ...or a brown paper bag.
    John B

    "Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

  9. #29
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    185

    Re: "neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    "Neat" is the best order and if that draws a blank look, say "just whiskey in a glass." Language barriers notwithstanding, that usually works. If the place seems hopeless, I drink beer.
    Tried this just last week... she served my VOB in a shot glass. Well... at least it didnt have ice in it!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What is optimal temperature for Bourbon "Neat"
    By SippinJim in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 16:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top