Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: A Big Texas Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by Hye1 View Post
    Hi Folks:

I am the proprietor and distiller at Garrison Brothers Distillery in Hye, Texas. We've been making fine bourbon, legally, since January 2008.

Since we will not have anything to sell for many years, this is not an ad. But I did want to extend an invitation to bourbon drinking Texans, or anyone else who might get down our way, to come by for a visit. We'll probably put you to work but I'd be proud to show you around.
    It's exciting, actually, to hear about a brand new bourbon that is just now in the very first stages of production. You have alot with which to compete, and ALOT of it is made within an hour or so drive of where I live. I guess all we can do is wait until that stuff of yours is ready. Welcome aboard!!!
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Welcome Dan,

I just read the article, it's pretty exciting to see someone get into something like this, I wish you the best of luck!

We will need some of this Texas Bourbon in Australia....

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

We filled Barrel 100 Thursday night and then my crack team of taste testers and I had a little party..., I mean ... quality control analysis meeting. It'll be a while, and yes -- it'll be expensive, but I think ya'll will enjoy it as much as I do once I can share it with you.

Anyone headed down our way is welcome to come by and see the place. You can sign up on our website for the newsletter if you'd like occasional updates.

Advanced Taster

All I can say is, you can never have too many distilleries... That is, until there are too many to try in a lifetime... And then again, that would just be a challenge.

Disciple

Some of the boys and I are planning a trip out to Marble Falls to check out the new distillery. If anyone is interested in making the drive out there...send me a pm. We will go in the next week or two.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the board. You have an fascinating story.

I have a question. I recently toured some of the Kentucky distilleries and learned the importance of seasonal temperature changes in order to move the bourbon in and out of the wood for aging. Is the lack of cold weather a problem for you?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm just getting started in the world of Bourbon.

Good luck!!

Disciple

The hill country has a wide range of temperatures that fluctuate sometimes 50 degrees in a day. So, there should be no problem with proper aging. I would think that the bourbon should age a little faster here.

Disciple

It looks like the trip to the distillery is still on. Just ironing out a few scheduling details.

Thing are bustling out at the Garrison place. Hope to send a report soon.

Mozilla is correct. Maturation pretty much ceases when the temp drops delow about 50 degrees anyway. The temp changes here are dramatic, daily. It was 20 degrees in our barrel barn when I woke up this morning and it will be 80 in there this afternoon. As a result, we're getting what looks and tastes like a 3-year old in just 6 months. The Angel's Share eats us alive in August though.

Disciple

Dan,
    Is there a way to air condition the warehouses...similar to the heating that is needed in Ky durring the winter? Maybe, there is a way to decrease the evaporation loss. Do you have to tighten up the barrel hoops durring the winter? I have always wanted to know a little more about coopering in the warehouses.