Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: Liquor Store Pix in Indianapolis?

well, it sounds like it wont be there for long !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    They have an Experimental Rum??? You're kidding me! I was just there a week or so ago and didn't see that!!! The only place in Indy that has gotten the experimentals in the past is Big Red Liquors in Bloomington.....and they don't sell them to people like me and you! Trust me, I've tried!
    They did on Sat afternoon. It's behind glass, opposite the tasting bar.

Speaking of tasting bar, they had a bottle of the Rye One (R1) open so I gave that a try, which wasn't very good IMO, but the salesman insisted I taste a new ~$30 'sipping rum' they had in. At least I assume it's new or he wouldn't have been so excited about it. I forget the name, but the previous description (sipping rum) should suffice. You might like it, but I couldn't finish the 1oz taste. It _was_ better than the R1 though.

Josh, not sure what you're looking for, but I did spot some Parkers Heritage 127.4 proof at the other store I mentioned, Vine and Table. I've not had it, but it was rated 93 or 94 by Malt Advocate and is only $75. If nothing else you'd be able to try spun_cookies Parker Porterhouse recipe. Not sure I could stand pouring out two ounces of it though!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    They did on Sat afternoon. It's behind glass, opposite the tasting bar.

Speaking of tasting bar, they had a bottle of the Rye One (R1) open so I gave that a try, which wasn't very good IMO, but the salesman insisted I taste a new ~$30 'sipping rum' they had in. At least I assume it's new or he wouldn't have been so excited about it. I forget the name, but the previous description (sipping rum) should suffice. You might like it, but I couldn't finish the 1oz taste. It _was_ better than the R1 though.

Josh, not sure what you're looking for, but I did spot some Parkers Heritage 127.4 proof at the other store I mentioned, Vine and Table. I've not had it, but it was rated 93 or 94 by Malt Advocate and is only $75. If nothing else you'd be able to try spun_cookies Parker Porterhouse recipe. Not sure I could stand pouring out two ounces of it though!
    I was at Kahn's on Sat and had a sample of that R1 too. It was good but not $50 good. Also had some Jefferson Something (the cheaper one) and it was good but also overpriced. I picked up a bottle of one of three BT barrel's Kahns claimed they had bought directly from Frankfort. Planning on bringing it to the MI Bourbon hounds. It was very nice and worth the money. They had a lot of this stuff. "Mitchner's" (I think), Bourbon and Blended Whiskey too. Also had some Calaghan's Colorado whiskey wvertf that is.

Anyway, Kahn's was great. Thanks for the recomenddation guys!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I picked up a bottle of one of three BT barrel's Kahns claimed they had bought directly from Frankfort. Planning on bringing it to the MI Bourbon hounds. It was very nice and worth the money. They had a lot of this stuff. "Mitchner's" (I think), Bourbon and Blended Whiskey too. Also had some Calaghan's Colorado whiskey wvertf that is.
    The story I got was that it was two barrels, one packaged as bottles and the other as handles. They said all five guys that went unanimously picked those two out of around ten barrels. I did try it, but had already planned what to spend my money on. I'd love to hear what everyone thought of it and will have to grab one of each myself for comparison.

I wish I'd have known you were coming through Sat., as Heather and I didn't do anything but go bourbon hunting (unsuccessfully) and would have invited you to stop by. She's a big Uncle Tupelo fan also. In fact maybe it's better you two didn't meet ;-)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    The story I got was that it was two barrels, one packaged as bottles and the other as handles. They said all five guys that went unanimously picked those two out of around ten barrels. I did try it, but had already planned what to spend my money on. I'd love to hear what everyone thought of it and will have to grab one of each myself for comparison.

I wish I'd have known you were coming through Sat., as Heather and I didn't do anything but go bourbon hunting (unsuccessfully) and would have invited you to stop by. She's a big Uncle Tupelo fan also. In fact maybe it's better you two didn't meet ;-)
    I see my reputation preceeds me! Anyhow, I will be in Naptown from 12/11-12/14 and will be happy to go bourbon hunting with anyone in the area or just hang out and have a few sips. I'll be down helping my dad help my mom as she recovers from surgery on the 8th, but I'm sure they'll want me out of their hair at some point.

As for UT, I've come to my love for them only recently, but I am becoming a pretty big fan. Lots of great whiskey songs!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog