Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: My First Impressions of Some Recommended Scotches

I've always interpreted 'acquired taste' to mean 'you'll like it if you decide to'. Thus, I've never acquired tastes for either beer or coffee and, though I like some scotches (particulaly Speyside, but Highland Park 12yo is probably my favorite), I don't like the peaty, smoky island malts. Bourbon, on the other hand, didn't take much convincing. Does that make it a 'natural' taste?

Connoisseur

Re: My First Impressions of Some Recommended Scotches

I've always interpreted 'acquired taste' to mean 'you'll like it if you decide to'.
    That's true in many cases, but with whisk(e)y sometimes one's (perhaps untrained) palate might not initially like a particular bottling, but if you put it aside and taste it after some experience your opinion changes.

Guru

Johnnie Walker Gold

Over the 2006 Independence Day holiday my son visited. He was pleased that I'd stocked up on Dewar's for him. (For some reason I still haven't gotten around to tasting that one.)

The third night he was here I set out not only the Dewar's but also a pygmy bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold, which I'd been saving for just such an occasion.

He tasted it neat, at my urging, and then on the rocks, his usual manner. His polite but lukewarm response prompted me to taste it as well. Although I'd not drunk any scotch in so long that I wasn't sure of myself, I had to agree with him. I vowed to revisit it another time for further exploration.

Last night I finally did so. Once again I was unimpressed. I suppose I could say either that it was perfectly balanced or devoid of any distinguishing flavors. It wasn't bad, mind you, but it totally failed to distinquish itself. To my taste it was generic scotch, nothing more. There was one slight negative. It caused a mildly unpleasant tingle at the finish, which overwhelmed the scant flavors at that point.

I decided that I should review my scotch baseline, just to make sure that my assessment was as fair as I was capable of making it. I pulled out bottles of Johnnie Walker Black and Famous Grouse.

I started with the former and was instantly reminded why it's one of my favorite blends. It took me several sips to identify the flavor I found so appealling. It's gingerbread. (A review of earlier posts today reveals that I used that same descriptor before. I find that reassuring.) Bottom line? Black beats Gold even up, never mind the difference in cost.

My taster was getting a little tired when I poured the Famous Grouse. It was lighter and more floral (the Highland Park heather taste?) than the Johnnie Walker Black and more enjoyable than the Gold.

If you're tempted to spend more than usual with the idea that the Johnnie Walker Gold is a step up from the Black, I think you are likely to be disappointed.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 08-29-2006 at 15:24.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

JW Black vs. JW Gold.

I agree with you about the black vs. gold. The gold has a bitter aftertaste, that puts it behind the black IMO. Pretty expensive too.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Guru

Scotch in the Freezer?

Maybe we've been serving it wrong. The JW website says it should be frozen for 24 hours "to release its light, fruity flavors and honey sweetness, then served neat or in a chilled glass."

I've never heard of anything like this before.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast
    Honestly I can imagine that working quite well, but at the price they charge it should be palatable at any temperature.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur
    While I don't totally agree with you on this I think JW shot themselves in the foot by having the Gold and the Green at about the same price point. The Green Label is so much better across the board. One of my favorite scotches in the $50 area, the other being Balvenie 15 yo Single Barrel.
    Illuminati in training

Guru
    I'd be interested in knowing more about your response to JW gold. Sometimes a little guidance helps me notice a quality that I missed on my own.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur
    I did this little review on another board back in April of 2004 if that helps.

Johnnie Walker Gold is not just an older version of their world Famous Black Label Scotch but rather a different blend that has the same roots. It is said up to 40 whiskies are blended to make JWG. I can tell the Cardhu that is the base of almost all JW whiskies and I've read that Clynelish is another main ingrediant but what the others may be, only Johnnie Walker knows.

Johnny Walker Gold is a smoother blend then the Black label, almost silky in the way it goes down. This is more of a thinking whisky, it has greater depth than Black label but doesn't have the one stand out flavor that Black does. If you have the time to concentrate there really is alot going on with this blend.

JWG has a big soft nose of honey, light oak and flowers (roses maybe?) in the background. The taste is silky smooth with hints of smoke and oak along with a subtle fruit flavor. This whisky finishes long and slow, it has a bit of dryness on the top of the tongue but the flavors go on and on along the sides.

Johnnie Walker has refined the classic taste of Black label with this 18 yo blend. A bit pricey but still worth it if you like the flavor profile. In England, there are a number of other blends that are perhaps a better buy but for customers in the U.S. our choices are more limited. So JWG joins other Scotches like Chivas 18 and Campbeltown Lock 20 or 25 (vatted) as one of the best Premium (not super premium) blends available here.
    Illuminati in training

Guru
    Good insights.

I was expecting something big and bold, which we agree is not what JWG is all about. I'm probably guilty of judging it against my expectations.

I'm down to three or four lusty pours in this little bottle. At the very least I'll take your cue regarding paying attention from now on. Don't think I'll try the freezer thing, though. Somehow it just doesn't seem right. If nothing else, it would add a variable that I'm unfamiliar with.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield