Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

Affordable dessert wines

Although I collect more whiskey than any other beverage, I have a longstanding love with port as well. 10 & 20 year tawnies were my first exposure to port and I fell for it immediately. I used to go through a bottle of 10-year every week until I decided it was ridiculous to be spending over $100/month on port at the age of 21. Fast forward a few years and I still buy port occasionally, usually Blake Whiskers 8-year tawny from Australia. It runs about $13 around here and is "almost" as good as the 10-year tawnies from Portugal that cost $30.

Talking with a friend recently, he suggested I try some madeira too. Something like Blandy's would only run about $20 and might also fix my sweet tooth when I'm hankering.

I've enjoyed most dessert wines that I've tried. Looking for more recommendations in the sub-$30 range. Anyone got a favorite?

Guru

Re: Affordable dessert wines

V. Sattui in Napa has a fun Madera. There are a lot of good ports in the $30 range.

Take a trip to Eldorado county north east of Sacramento and you will find a few. They are also speckled around Napa and Sanoma. Full Moon makes a decent Port for $20 and I think you can get it outside CA.

There are some tremendous dessert wine values from Australia.

Yalumba REseve Tawny goes for about $20 and Robert Parker scored it a 97

Yalumba Museum Reserve Muscat- same score & price

Campbell's Tokay Rutherglen is also very good- same price range

Also- from France and available at Costco I've gotten some really good Sauternes for under $25 that you should really try.

Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Affordable dessert wines

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    There are some tremendous dessert wine values from Australia.

Yalumba REseve Tawny goes for about $20 and Robert Parker scored it a 97

Yalumba Museum Reserve Muscat- same score & price

Campbell's Tokay Rutherglen is also very good- same price range

Also- from France and available at Costco I've gotten some really good Sauternes for under $25 that you should really try.

Australia is offering some of the best PVR dessert wines around. Great price and great product. Don't miss out.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    V. Sattui in Napa has a fun Madera. There are a lot of good ports in the $30 range.
    You are obviously a man of masterful taste. V. Sattui always has something you can like very much. I enjoy their 1999 Vintage Port and the Madiera is a very pleasant glass.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    You are obviously a man of masterful taste. V. Sattui always has something you can like very much. I enjoy their 1999 Vintage Port and the Madiera is a very pleasant glass.
    THe self proclaimed "Friendliest Winery in the World" and I have yet to find a winery that tops them in that area... You have to love a place that will give you 12+ tastings, talk all day with you and not charge a cent...

Their deli is very good as well. We always time them for around noon.

Connoisseur

My favorite value port is Fonseca Bin 27. I think I paid around $15 a bottle at Costco the last time I bought some.

Tom

Taster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, they've been very helpful. Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Blandy's 5-year Malmsey for $22 and Benjamin's Tawny for $13. Next I'll try a few older madeira's and a couple sherries as well. It's hard work but somebody's gotta do it

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I certainly don't have a lot of knowledge and expertise on these, but I have had a couple of bottles of the Whiskers Blake, that I enjoyed the heck out of.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Mamba if you try Madeira make sure you try a colheita,also i can recommend you Malaga,i think that you`ll like that too.I`m really schocked you pay US$ 30 or more for a 10 yrs old tawny,almost triple of the price we`re paying here.Besides shippingcosts etc. looks like a lot of money is made with the stuff.Is portwine populair in the States?

Eric.
    Netherlands