Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Affordable dessert wines

I certainly don't have a lot of knowledge and expertise on these, but I have had a couple of bottles of the Whiskers Blake, that I enjoyed the heck out of.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

I have mentioned before that I enjoy Galway Pipe - a nice port from Australia too....good holiday wine with pumpkin pie etc. I have not tried Blake Whiskers.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I have mentioned before that I enjoy Galway Pipe - a nice port from Australia too....good holiday wine with pumpkin pie etc. I have not tried Blake Whiskers.
    Dang! I gotta stop coming here. That sounds to good to pass up. I was reading in another thread about having a bourbon and snacking on apple jacks cereal. That sounded really good and now this. Well...I guess its bourbon and cereal early and Port with pie for dinner. Any suggestions for lunch?
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

On weekends....I associate beer with lunch (if I am drinking)...I rarely have whiskey of any type during daylight hours...it just works out that way -not a rule by any means...wine is consumed too depending on the event...usually a more formal lunch.

Beer goes with various sandwiches, pizza, Mexican, chili / soups, Chinese etc.
    Hungry yet?

I was in Costco today and saw that they had a Sauternes for $17. I got it and tried it and can highly recommend it at this price. Balanced layers of complexity and flavors at a bargain price.

Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Affordable dessert wines

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    There are some tremendous dessert wine values from Australia.

Yalumba REseve Tawny goes for about $20 and Robert Parker scored it a 97

Yalumba Museum Reserve Muscat- same score & price

Campbell's Tokay Rutherglen is also very good- same price range

Also- from France and available at Costco I've gotten some really good Sauternes for under $25 that you should really try.

Australia is offering some of the best PVR dessert wines around. Great price and great product. Don't miss out.

Enthusiast

Mamba if you try Madeira make sure you try a colheita,also i can recommend you Malaga,i think that you`ll like that too.I`m really schocked you pay US$ 30 or more for a 10 yrs old tawny,almost triple of the price we`re paying here.Besides shippingcosts etc. looks like a lot of money is made with the stuff.Is portwine populair in the States?

Eric.
    Netherlands

Enthusiast

I like the Auslesee and Spatlesse out of Germany. These are types of wines that are fruity and sweet; best served chiled cold with cheese, nuts and fruit.

Enthusiast

I too have a soft spot for ports and desert wines but i stumbled upon this spanish sherry that should be classed as a port as it is incredibly viscous and pronounces the most incredible aromas - Vincola Hidalgo Napoleon Old Pedro Ximenez...

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Guru

The absolutely most memorable and joyous wine experience ever was drinking some DeLoach Gewurztraminer Russian River Valley Late Harvest....wonderful, heavenly...like it came from honeyed streams of gold. You may not be able to find it easily outside of CA (shipping?)...my brother in-law and sister in-law had it and brought some back for me. Of course the company and gorgeous sunset helped the memory...but the wine is delicious.

I believe my first was from 2000 and I have a 2001.

http://www.winelog.net/wines/wine/35...er-valley-2000

"Our 2001 Late Harvest Gewürztraminer is a light golden color with aromas of apricot nectar, peach and hints of pineapple. Flavors of apricot, tropical fruit, rich honey and citrus zest follow through to the finish. This is a clean, crisp wine with the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity."

Late harvest Gewurztraminer's and Eiswein / Ice Wine's etc. are delicious treats.