Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Massachsetts Liquor Shopping Trip!

The wife & I will be heading down to Worcester, MA to see Neil Young and Wilco on the 13th and I've slyly snuck into our plans a trip to Austin Liquors. Having not shopped in MA much for bourbon before, I was wondering if there were some suggestions as to what to get and what is reasonable to pay. It seems that here in Maine the prices I pay are very competitive, but the selection is pretty slim, so I'd be looking more for things I haven't tried than stuff I can readily get at home. Obviously, you probably don't know everything available in Maine, but suggestions would be very helpful. Like I said, I'm afraid of paying too, too much for things (e.g. EC12 is $27.99 in MA, but I pay $16.99 here in ME).

Thanks!

PS - as I mentioned, the wife will be with me, so I may not be able to get away with a Van Winkle or something similarly pricey, but would be interested about availability and $$$.

Enthusiast

Re: Massachsetts Liquor Shopping Trip!

Well obviously hit the NH state stores on the way. Selection there is OK, but if they have it, it is often wicked cheap. In MA, particularly out towards Worcester, stop at Julio's Liquors in Westboro (near intersection of Rt 495 and Rt 90, probably right on your way). They are not cheap, but have a huge selection. The highlight is they buy a lot of barrels from Buffalo Trace, so you can pick up a few of these bottlings. (ER, BT, Baby-Saz, etc.) They also have their own barrel of Four Roses.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Well obviously hit the NH state stores on the way. Selection there is OK, but if they have it, it is often wicked cheap. In MA, particularly out towards Worcester, stop at Julio's Liquors in Westboro (near intersection of Rt 495 and Rt 90, probably right on your way). They are not cheap, but have a huge selection. The highlight is they buy a lot of barrels from Buffalo Trace, so you can pick up a few of these bottlings. (ER, BT, Baby-Saz, etc.) They also have their own barrel of Four Roses.

Cheers,
    Thanks for the tip, I may re-route our trip to get over to Julio's...any idea what price I would be looking at for BT or 4Roses? I haven't seen those bottles anywhere -- are they fairly common in MA? I get ER and Saz Jr. up here already.

I agree about the NH Liquor store, the selection is better than up here and the price is usually great. I'm pretty close to a number of these, however and I'm interested in focusing on stuff that's scarce in the Northern Regions.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

I believe the following prices are correct for Julio's picked single barrels of the following products:

BT - 27.99
    Rock Hill Farms - 44.99
    Baby Saz - 24.99

4R Yellow - 19.99
    FR Small Batch - 27.99
    FR Single Barrel - 39.99

These prices are certainly not cheap, but these are single barrel picks, so are worth checking out.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast

Correction, the FR small batch and yellow label are not single barrel picks, the rest are though...
    Mike

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I may re-route our trip to get over to Julio's...
    Even if it is out of your way try to go to Julio's.
    See if Ryan is in and tell him you are on the SB.com board and ask him about all of their private bottles.
    ovh

Disciple

Looks like I'm going to have some tough decisions to make...in fact, this is starting to look like a separate trip (excluding the wife)...thanks for the info guys!
    Last edited by funknik; 12-03-2008 at 13:06.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Buy everything you can find/need at the NH stores at Portsmouth Circle or the Hampton tolls, then make the trip to Julio's for the rest.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

I did a little hunting in Woos-tah a few years ago, although not to saturation. I picked up a few WTs, the RR 101 and a few older bottlings of RB. My recollection was that the pickings were pretty slim. I also picked up a speeding ticket in a speed trap just outside town, so be careful.

SSWC

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I believe the following prices are correct for Julio's picked single barrels of the following products:

BT - 27.99
    Rock Hill Farms - 44.99
    Baby Saz - 24.99

4R Yellow - 19.99
    FR Small Batch - 27.99
    FR Single Barrel - 39.99

These prices are certainly not cheap, but these are single barrel picks, so are worth checking out.
    Forgive my ignorance, but how does this work? Single Barrel Buffalo Trace? If Julio's buys the barrel, who bottles it -- BT? Can liquor stores request this? Plus, I just received a flyer from the NH liquor store where BT is 19.99 (and they're having a huge sale right now, so it may be even cheaper) -- what to do? Portsmouth also just got in a dozen Van Winkle 12yr for $40....I may blow my wad before I make it to Julio's!

Andy