Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have it?

Virtuoso

Re: Do you have it?

I'm Steve and I have Whiskirexia Nervosa. Have it bad.

I am yes to 10 of 11 from the original list - But now that you mention it perhaps a bar wouldn't be such a bad idea...

I'm 2 of 3 from the new questions. Moving isn't an option.....yet.

Hi, My name is Joe and I have Whiskirexia Nervosa. I had to go grocery shopping with my wife today. We stopped at four grocery stores, (my wife couldn't find the right potatoes) and I didn't buy anything from any of their liquor departments. We also stopped at two liquor stores. The only bottle I purchased, was a Canadian liqueur/whiskey, that is for a friend. Honest, Really. I'm not kidding. For real. I mean it. I ate when I got home. Then ...........I poured myself a stiff one and proceeded to take an inventory of my collection! I'm a nervous wreck! Thanks Chuck, you've helped make me more of a blithering idiot than what I normally am. Honest. Really. I'm not kidding. For real. I mean it. I'd like to thank you all for being here for me.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I knew that I had this condition a few weeks ago, when both of my sisters were in town for a visit. We went to a liquor store because they each like a brand of beer they can't get where they live. While there, I bought one bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB, because I was out. After observing that whiskey now dominates my kitchen and dining room (plus a few other places I didn't show them), they gave me a hard time about buying more. They just didn't understand that yes, I have a lot of whiskey, but I didn't have any Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Yes, I have a couple other straight ryes, including some Rittenhouse 80 proof, but I was out of the BIB and it's only $13 a bottle.

Is there, I wondered, something wrong with me?

I also wonder how many people go to the web, looking for a support group, and find instead loads of eager enablers?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I knew that I had this condition a few weeks ago, when both of my sisters were in town for a visit. We went to a liquor store because they each like a brand of beer they can't get where they live. While there, I bought one bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB, because I was out. After observing that whiskey now dominates my kitchen and dining room (plus a few other places I didn't show them), they gave me a hard time about buying more. They just didn't understand that yes, I have a lot of whiskey, but I didn't have any Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Yes, I have a couple other straight ryes, including some Rittenhouse 80 proof, but I was out of the BIB and it's only $13 a bottle.

Is there, I wondered, something wrong with me?

I also wonder how many people go to the web, looking for a support group, and find instead loads of eager enablers?
    But Chuck, you know you did the right thing in picking up more Rittenhouse BIB. I'm not sure why you would question that.

I for instance do quite a bit of baking and as such I keep about 6 different types of flour at home, if I am out of one, I see no reason to question myself in picking up some more.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I knew there was a name for it. I actually have been studying this phenomenon in myself for quite sometime, so I thought this diagnostic tool might be helpful.

Questions to ask yourself to determine if you have Whiskirexia Nervosa:

1. Do you have a better whiskey collection than most restaurants and bars in your city? state? country?

2. Do you have bottles stored in the bedroom? the bathroom? the kids' room(s)?

3. Do your local liquor store owners/staff know you by name?

4. Do you have on-line liquor stores bookmarked?

5. Have you ever missed work to ensure you're home to sign for a parcel that requires an adult signature?

6. If you leave a liquor store empty-handed do you feel disappointed? Panicky? Do you develop a rash?

7. Do you have a written inventory of your bottles? When someone comes over for a drink, do you offer them a printed list?

8. When travelling, do you visit liquor stores just in case they have something you can't find at home?

9. Do you spend more time buying whiskey than drinking it?

10. Have you ever considered opening a bar, just with the stock you currently own?

If you've answered yest to five or more of these questions, you may have Whiskirexia Nevosa (also known as Whiskyrexia Nevosa). You should consider seeking immediate medical attention.
    1,3(doesn''t really count as I work at one),4,5,6,7,8.
    Then again, I am perennially searching for something new and exciting in whiskey (most recently a 3yr old barrel sample from KBD.... they are dragging their feet on bottling the damn thing too)

The bunker right now stands at 120btls with an additional 27 in inventory.... likely to increase substantially within the next weeks with single malts (watch for some retardedly low sale pricing as suppliers cut prices for December).

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Stop adding questions! I'm already a diagnosed case! I'm going to Santa Fe to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws, and I called Byrons in OK City with an order. I have to take my truck because it won't fit in my jeep! I'm 68 and I have at least 2 to 3 years worth of inventory and I'm buying another year's worth! The bad part is I know that while in Santa Fe I'll have to drive up to Kokomans on the indian reservation to see what goodies they have. The sad part is making two trips/year to Kentucky and one to Scotland, I don't think there is any hope for me! If someone forms a WRA, count me in as a charter member. I've always said I'm not an alcoholic because I don't go to meetings and I don't have a drinking problem because I can find my mouth every time, now you point out that I do have an affliction. I used to like you, Chuck, before you pointed this out to me! (but I still look forward to raising a glass with you at the Sampler and learning more of your knowledge of bourbon.)
    Kokomans!!! I love that place!! On the Pojoaque Reservation. I actually used to do work in the area and visited the place as often as possible.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I've been away from Kentucky for a solid 5 months and it appears that some of the symptons of WN are subsiding.
    I've taken the local liquor stores in Lexington off speed dial.
    I didn't get any of the BTAC and seem to be surviving.
    My collection has been in boxes for six months and, although I miss it dearly, I only went to check on it a few times and let it know that it won't be long before they can sit back on the shelf in 5 or more rooms of the new house.
    The daily pour has become an occasional microbrew, but only at meals BEFORE lunch.
    The doctor says the twitch will go away soon and the salivation upon hearing anything resembling a cork pop may subside by the end of next summer.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    3. Do your local liquor store owners/staff know you by name?
    Know me by name.....heck, the owners of Spec's Liquor send me a personal Christmas card and invite me to their suite at the Texans home games. When I was on my 6 week road trip this past summer, they called Val to see if I was alright as I hadn't spent any money in their stores for so long. I got an invitation to their child's graduation from Rice University.....seeing as how I paid for most of it.

Randy

Connoisseur

Oh I have it and I have it bad!

Hi, My name is Joe and I have Whiskirexia Nervosa. I didn't buy anything for myself today, but I had to stop at a liquor store to pick up two more bottles of Canadian liqueur/whiskey for my Tuesday night bowling buddies. Honest. Really. I'm not kidding. For real. I mean it. I did take a walk through the bourbon section, even though I was just there yesterday. Man, my mouth got dry. I'm going to have a Coke now and see if I can get me salivary glands working again. I'd like to thank you all for being here for me. Joe

PS Ahhhhh, screw the Coke. I'm gonna have some bourbon.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"