Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Sazerac (BT) Customer Service A++

I have to post something about this because I had such an excellent experience recently dealing with the Sazerac company.
    The background is that I had just bought two bad bottles of EC12 (my favorite) from my local liquor store and was in a foul mood when I bought a bottle of Saz Jr. (which is new in my area). I thought that it, too, tasted bad and was very disappointed but not willing to bring it back especially since I had never had it before....so I gave it a few days.

After still tasting what I can only describe as rotten wood & must/mildew, I was depressed -- more because I had wanted to try this rye and I didn't feel like I was getting the genuine article. I read reviews and tasting notes here and elsewhere that spoke about oranges and spice notes and, while I'm not the most experienced taster, I do usually taste subtle flavors in whiskey. So, I thought, "Hell, why not call the number on the back of the bottle?" It was conveniently located after all.

After being passed around on the phone for a while, I spoke to Ruby who is apparently the customer service rep who handles New England. She patched me over to Kevin Richards who is, supposedly, the manager of the brand. I left a polite message about my concern and figured that would be the end of it. I had sufficiently tired myself out and gotten my whiskey demons exorcised anyway.

I was very surprised when Mr. Richards, indeed the manager of the brand, returned my call the next day. We talked about the general state of big companies and customer service, I told him my story and we chatted about rye for a bit and I guess he got the impression that I wasn't a complete whiskey idiot (read "complete") and said he'd like to help me out. He was sending a new bottle from the distillery (which turned into a refund check due to stupid liquor laws) and a package for me to send my old bottle back for testing. I was feeling sheepish & a little like a burden, but was supremely impressed by the whole thing.

I got my check and Buffalo Trace called me a few weeks later to say that my bottle was "within acceptable standards for the brand." Maybe my standards are higher than theirs, who knows. So, the blame is mine, but I can't say enough good things about this company and how they handled this whole situation -- kudos BT & Sazerac! This is the best transaction I have had with any company over anything. You guys are a class act!

I will also be less bold in the future when judging bottles -- I guess I'll just suck it up. Won't be trying Saz Jr. again for a while, though.
    Last edited by funknik; 12-03-2008 at 10:54.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Re: Sazerac (BT) Customer Service A++

Thanks for the post.

I also had a success story, in dealing with Wild Turkey. Needless to say they were very generous and understanding with their time and resources. I haven't mentioned it before now, only because I wanted to respect their efforts and professional conduct, and to prevent fraudulent claims. Yet with second-hand knowledge, quality control does exist in many if not all of the KY distilleries, and one's voice is heard especially for the discerning drinker.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the Saz. Too late now, but I'd have saved a little sample so you could go back to it much later, or compare it to a future-purchased Saz Jr. and see if anything changed, like your palette or even the rye.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Your impression of Saz Jr is what 6 y/o rye tastes like.

You have to dig beneath the grassy mulch to get to the oranges and leather
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle View Post
    Your impression of Saz Jr is what 6 y/o rye tastes like.

You have to dig beneath the grassy mulch to get to the oranges and leather
    Interesting. I just finished a bottle of Russell Reserve Rye (which I believe is also 6 years old) and detected none of the nasty, rotting flavor found in my returned bottle of Saz. I would describe the Russell as light and grassy, almost boring -- it took a while to grow on me, but I eventually came around. The Saz was like a mouthful of dirt.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

I too am sorry to here you didn't like Saz Jr.
    I have often said that is redolent of the pages of an old leather bound book sometimes tending toward the way a freshly opened deck of playing cards smells. I like that. Perhaps this is what you call "rotting flavor". Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Have you had the Thomas H. Handy? Though the whiskey is the same age, or nearly so, (I think Handy is 7 years old) the spice and clove are far more in evidence. perhaps because of the proof.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I too am sorry to here you didn't like Saz Jr.
    I have often said that is redolent of the pages of an old leather bound book sometimes tending toward the way a freshly opened deck of playing cards smells. I like that. Perhaps this is what you call "rotting flavor". Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Have you had the Thomas H. Handy? Though the whiskey is the same age, or nearly so, (I think Handy is 7 years old) the spice and clove are far more in evidence. perhaps because of the proof.
    I have not tried the Handy as it isn't. Handy, that is: I have very little access to different types of ryes up here in New England. I will say, however, that I'm a Never-Met-a-Whiskey-I-didn't-like Type and so, I'm also surprised that I didn't like the Saz Jr. I know that evidence would lead to the contrary, but I'm still of the mind that this bottle was a dud or, at least, not representative if the best that Sazerac has to offer. Who knows? I will certainly try this again, but I maintain that I would be surprised if this bottle was intended to taste the way it did.

Andy

Virtuoso

If you do a search for "musty" you will find numerous threads on BT brands. I had some problems with Blantons and many others have complained about other musty bourbons from that distillery. Don't get me wrong, it still is my favorite, but there does seem to be a problem.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    If you do a search for "musty" you will find numerous threads on BT brands. I had some problems with Blantons and many others have complained about other musty bourbons from that distillery. Don't get me wrong, it still is my favorite, but there does seem to be a problem.

I've read some of these same threads and that's a lot of the reason why I think it may have been the bottle and not me (fingers firmly crossed).

Andy

Enthusiast

Have you tried WT Rye and Rittenhouse yet? I am curious if it is the rye you don't care for. I haven't had Baby Saz yet myself so I cannot speak to that. However, I have had Handy and Saz 18yr and found both to be wonderful straight Whiskies. I would think another bottle is in order. however I would buy it from a differnt store if possible. Sounds to me like you had a corked bottle. I also did not care for the last bottle of WT RRR as it was overly salty.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
    Have you tried WT Rye and Rittenhouse yet? I am curious if it is the rye you don't care for.
    I don't think this is the problem. I like Old Overholt & Beam Rye a lot -- not that it's a good judge, but I would contend that a good, long rye finish is one of my favorite parts of a good bourbon. Not the wheaters obviously, but mostly I like the rye-based bourbons.

Andy