Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Weller Special Reserve Is Just Wonderful

I have been sampling the 1.75 liter bottle of Weller Special Reserve I bought a few months back. This is most certainly a very special drink....where has these been all my life. Is it me or is there a faint coconut-like aftertaste? Sounds weird but I like it a lot.

Enthusiast

Re: Weller Special Reserve Is Just Wonderful

Weller SR is a great go-to bottle. Recently I've lost some interest in it, partially due to the cooler weather. It's a great wheater. Here in MI the price is pretty high. I've heard rumors it drops down to 20 bucks for 1.75L in Kentucky. I picked mine up for 24 bucks!

Summary:
    Great taste
    Light body
    Great QPR
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

all i know of this wonderful pour is a dusty from the 1980s i found....and i am sure the current (is it so?) is just a great. i am tending away from the wheaters.....i am sure i will come back, but rye has caught my fancy

PA only offers (as far as i know) the Antique 107....still, a major player esp. in my bourbon upbringin' !
    HUP!

Disciple

I'm don't keep wheaters around, generally, but I'll always have a bottle of this around. It's $13 here which makes it an easy go-to bottle -- great coming out of the freezer.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    I have been sampling the 1.75 liter bottle of Weller Special Reserve ... This is most certainly a very special drink ... where has these been all my life ... ?
    Thanks for sharing.

I have an as-of-yet unopened half gallon which I purchased because one of my bandmates is fond of Maker's Mark, and this was a far less pricey wheater that I wanted him to try and that I wanted to try myself.

My own biggest surprise recently is that I'm developing quite a fondness for the Very Old Barton's 100 proof BIB. It isn't up to the quality of Wild Turkey 101, but it isn't nearly up to the COST of the WT either. For $23/half gallon (1.75L), it's well worth a try. I've been amazed by the great reviews it has gotten from some of the booze snobs on this and other forums.

I'm trying just about everything 90 proof and above these days, and the Weller SR is high on my list of priorities. Thanks again for your feedback, MJL.
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Guru

VOB BIB is not produced anymore as they have dropped the BIB designation. If you can still find it, grab some bottles to bunker. The Barton is one of my low price favorites along with AAA 10 year. Other wheaters to try are Weller Antique and Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107. Both of these have higher proof which I think adds to the depth of flavor. Weller is good but I think Antique and ORVW are better.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bvscfanatic View Post
    My own biggest surprise recently is that I'm developing quite a fondness for the Very Old Barton's 100 proof BIB. It isn't up to the quality of Wild Turkey 101, but it isn't nearly up to the COST of the WT either.
    Yeah, I bought some of this on Friday and was blown away. It is inexpensive (l think it was under $12 or so) but at 6 years of age it is quite the distinguished gentleman of a whiskey. It's very laid back and reserved, it delivers its caramel and toffee and vanilla and then it sits quietly waiting for you to notice it again. Not aggressive or pretentious in the least, just good sippin' whiskey for the money.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    VOB BIB is not produced anymore as they have dropped the BIB designation. If you can still find it, grab some bottles to bunker. The Barton is one of my low price favorites along with AAA 10 year. Other wheaters to try are Weller Antique and Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107. Both of these have higher proof which I think adds to the depth of flavor. Weller is good but I think Antique and ORVW are better.
    The bottle clearly states "Bottled In Bond" and I purchased it very recently. But heck, if that's true then maybe I'll put a case or two away for a rainy day. The 100 proof BIB is only $23 per half gallon around here. Last time I looked at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, the shelves were well stocked with it.

Thanks for the heads up. When did they stop making it? Or did we just quit exporting it to northern VA?
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    VOB BIB is not produced anymore as they have dropped the BIB designation.
    I had heard rumors of this, but if I recall correctly, it turned out they were just rumors.

I picked up a VOB BIB the other day from a store that goes through that stuff like it is water. It was still bonded (although the bonded designation is a bit hidden).
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    I have been sampling the 1.75 liter bottle of Weller Special Reserve I bought a few months back. This is most certainly a very special drink....where has these been all my life. Is it me or is there a faint coconut-like aftertaste? Sounds weird but I like it a lot.
    I haven't had that one yet. I've had a couple bottles of Weller Antique and I think they had an especially good flavor. I'm looking to try more Weller products but they are hard to find around here.
    Last edited by PAspirit1; 12-02-2008 at 07:31.