Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Buffalo Trace discontinuing some bottlings?

I am seeking confirmation, and more information, on a rumor I heard from a reliable and informed source.

The rumor is that Buffalo Trace is discontinuing Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve (the 13 year old OC), Hancock's President's Reserve, and Weller Centennial.

Does anybody know if this is true, and if so, why it is happening, or any other information about this?

Virtuoso

Re: Buffalo Trace discontinuing some bottlings?

It is my understanding Weller Centennial and OC PR have been discontinued for a while now. I have not heard anything about Hancock Reserve.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    It is my understanding Weller Centennial and OC PR have been discontinued for a while now. I have not heard anything about Hancock Reserve.
    That's my understanding, too.

I'll add, that the only "news" I've heard regarding the Hancock was they were suppose to significantly lower the price of it from the $40's to under $30. I haven't seen this, however.
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 12-06-2008 at 13:32.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

You are correct, OCPR and Centennial have been discontinued.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

I'd be curious to know if Hancock's is going to be discontinued. I really enjoy it in most instances, the barrel chosen by the place in Louisville, Liquor Barn I think(?), was an exception - it was weak. But most all standard Hancock's I have loved and would probably seek to lay some in the bunker if it was going away. If you hear anything more please advise. And as stated, yeah Centennial and OCPR are long gone, good luck finding any of them - especially the Centennial!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Taster

Hi Christian --

I have received a bit more information.

It appears to be confirmed that the OC Proprietor's Reserve 13 year old and the Weller Centennial are discontinued.

No indication that the Hancock's is being discontinued, only the strange finding that it may be found in Kentucky exclusively at Liquor Barn in Louisville.

We do have Hancock's here in St. Louis in at least one store, although at the rather steep price of $60.

Gregg

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
    No indication that the Hancock's is being discontinued, only the strange finding that it may be found in Kentucky exclusively at Liquor Barn in Louisville.

We do have Hancock's here in St. Louis in at least one store, although at the rather steep price of $60.

Gregg
    They have tons of it at the Liquor Barn in Lexington as well. It is their hand picked bottles with their label on it and they are selling it for pretty cheap. Around $30 if I remember correctly.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

The OCPR and the Weller Centennial are greatly missed. The Hancock not so much. It always struck me as an odd duck ---- particularly at the premium price point.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

I found the one store in Maine that has the one remaining bottle of OCPR for $35 and I'm in debate about whether to pick it up or not -- it's about 40 min drive.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I found the one store in Maine that has the one remaining bottle of OCPR for $35 and I'm in debate about whether to pick it up or not -- it's about 40 min drive.
    Does it count as a "ghost whiskey"?

If so, then I would drive 40 minutes each way to get it.

Just be sure they are holding it under your name!!