Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Snow!!! Winter Suggestions.

Up here in Maine the white stuff is flying...going to go get my Christmas tree today. Does anybody have cold weather or holiday favorite sipping suggestions?
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Re: Snow!!! Winter Suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Up here in Maine the white stuff is flying...going to go get my Christmas tree today. Does anybody have cold weather or holiday favorite sipping suggestions?
    I like a rye when it gets cold. Rittenhouse BIB is a great sipper in the cold. Not only does it have the rye spiciness, at 100 proof it has just enough burn to keep you warm.

I am also more likely to drink scotch as it gets colder.
    -------
    Added: I am more likely to enjoy Kentucky Coffee when it gets cold. VOB BIB is excellent mixed into some strong coffee.
    Last edited by kickert; 12-07-2008 at 07:09.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Try mixing 3 oz half and half with 2 oz whole milk (or vice versa), 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz of gold rum, 1/2 pat of creamery butter, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional). Stir with cinnamon stick (sprinkled cinnamon would probably do) and warm in microwave. make it hot, but do not boil or cook! If this doesn't warm you up, see your Dr. for frostbite! Another use for this same recipe is if you have a cold: put on a sweat suit, stocking cap, and warm socks; drink this immediately before going to bed; your will wake up with soaked bed covers and no cold. My Mother called this "hot buttered rum" and it was the only thing I looked forward to about getting a cold when I was a kid.

Guru

Bourbon and more bourbon....

Actually, I do introduce Scotch back into the rotation typically during Winter but for the most part, my habits don't change between seasons. All I need is a fire, blanket and bourbon.

...and by the way.....I hate snow.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I like a rye when it gets cold. Rittenhouse BIB is a great sipper in the cold. Not only does it have the rye spiciness, at 100 proof it has just enough burn to keep you warm.
    yep. Rye is a natural for colder weather. To that I would add barrel proofers like Bookers, Stagg, WLW and of course Handy which in my opinion may be the ultimate 'warm you up' pour on a cold evening.

Taster

I believe that it has more to do with the temperature at which the bourbon in served rather than the time of year.

Turn up your heater higher and you will find yourself enjoying those pours that you think of as summer bourbons.

Certainly our mood and perception changes too in the winter, but I believe that this is a lesser factor.

Connoisseur

i like the Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog (about $7.99) that my parents usually buy and think is too strong ....so they add more straight egg nog: i don't!

but yes, i agree with the above, RYE and high proofers like OGD114, WTRB, etc.

why is scotch a wintry shift for some? i doesn't have the heaviness i would want....but then, i have very little scotch experience.
    HUP!

Connoisseur

Egg Nog!!! It's my favorite cold weather treat.
    Todd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    why is scotch a wintry shift for some? i doesn't have the heaviness i would want....but then, i have very little scotch experience.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say its the peat. When I think of a scotch to drink on a cold night I think of Ardbeg. I don't think of a speysider or highland malt.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say its the peat. When I think of a scotch to drink on a cold night I think of Ardbeg. I don't think of a speysider or highland malt.

i can see that. or sense that. or imagine that!

the only scotch i've had was a single malt islay....very peaty. and 'salty' ?

your mention of peat shifts me westward from scotland to ireland...not the whisky so much, but actual PEAT. i have a block of peat from Eire which i plan to burn on the winters Solstice...that smell (i prefer it to the taste!) reminds me of what i smelled in every pub i went to in ireland! THAT does make me think of cold weather! one of the finest smokey smells in the world. next to southern barbecue...!
    HUP!