Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Alberta Premium 25 yo Rye

The original thread is closed....since I just cracked open my new bottle I wanted to concur with Gillman"

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...yo+Limited+Rye
    .................................................. ..................
    "First, let me say, this is very much a traditional Canadian whisky. That is, it has a mild, fairly neutral palate.

It contains no doubt a small percentage of low-proof aged spirit (Canadian straight-style whiskey made in house at Alberta Distillers for the flavoring element). But the taste is Canadian all the way, not American and no one for example would ever confuse this with a U.S. straight rye, well-aged or other.

That said, this is a very good Canadian whisky, one of the best available today and maybe the best.

Its chocolate and cocoa-like nose and taste derive from oak, I assume this is a small batch of various barrelings of aged whiskies and through the combination of whiskies from different barrels they got a complex, soft oaky taste. It is woody but not tannic and otherwise very well blended."
    .................................................. ..
    I just cracked open this bottle.

40% alcohol...."100% rye whiskey"

First, I would like to say I like the cut bottle design...nice touch..something different.
    Color -pale amber...not deeply colored.
    The nose, a light spicy aroma.
    Taste...obviously a Canadian Rye is very different from a U.S. produced rye....it is a quite light bodied rye...but flavorful..smooth with little burn.
    It is reminiscent of an Irish whiskey in some respects.

Aged 25 years I was expecting a heavier bodied whiskey...more barrel effect....but this whiskey remains a flavorful, light, easy drinking Canadian...just right when you are in the mood.

Re: Alberta Premium 25 yo Rye

hi, can you tell me where on the internet i can see a picture of this bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The original thread is closed....since I just cracked open my new bottle I wanted to concur with Gillman"

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...yo+Limited+Rye
    .................................................. ..................
    "First, let me say, this is very much a traditional Canadian whisky. That is, it has a mild, fairly neutral palate.

It contains no doubt a small percentage of low-proof aged spirit (Canadian straight-style whiskey made in house at Alberta Distillers for the flavoring element). But the taste is Canadian all the way, not American and no one for example would ever confuse this with a U.S. straight rye, well-aged or other.

That said, this is a very good Canadian whisky, one of the best available today and maybe the best.

Its chocolate and cocoa-like nose and taste derive from oak, I assume this is a small batch of various barrelings of aged whiskies and through the combination of whiskies from different barrels they got a complex, soft oaky taste. It is woody but not tannic and otherwise very well blended."
    .................................................. ..
    I just cracked open this bottle.

40% alcohol...."100% rye whiskey"

First, I would like to say I like the cut bottle design...nice touch..something different.
    Color -pale amber...not deeply colored.
    The nose, a light spicy aroma.
    Taste...obviously a Canadian Rye is very different from a U.S. produced rye....it is a quite light bodied rye...but flavorful..smooth with little burn.
    It is reminiscent of an Irish whiskey in some respects.

Aged 25 years I was expecting a heavier bodied whiskey...more barrel effect....but this whiskey remains a flavorful, light, easy drinking Canadian...just right when you are in the mood.

Guru

Last edited by Jono; 12-09-2008 at 12:43.

Connoisseur

I love this stuff! One of my favorites, in fact. Smooth and creamy, with a subtle sweetness and a slightly spicy finish.

i have a bottle of this unopened in my canadian whisky collection. i bought this bottle a few years ago though. is this bottle you guys are talking about something new?

Connoisseur

Nope, it's still going. I wonder how "limited" it really is.

Enthusiast

Well, the LE Crown Royal is still going after about 7yrs...

A friend bought it for me and tried to send it to me 3 times, got stopped at the border and returned to him. I am awaiting his next trip across the border.

Virtuoso

I'd be interested in trying this or the regular alberta premium as well, but I don't plan on going to canada anytime soon... pity. why is it we only get the 9.09% stuff here?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

I included the Alberta 25yo in this Canadian tasting:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...40&postcount=1