Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Sazerac Rye; what to expect?

I currently am drinking Buffalo Trace neat. I enjoy its smoothness and overall taste. Today while at my local store I spotted a bottle of Sazerac Rye so I put it in my cart. I have never tasted rye so I was wondering from those on the board; what should I expect in taste difference? I know it will not be like Buffalo Trace or any other bourbon for that matter but I thought I'd put the question out there.
    As he removed the cork from the bottle of bourbon, he threw it across the room and said, "we ain't gonna need that no more".

Connoisseur

Re: Sazerac Rye; what to expect?

It wopuld depend on which Sazerac you picked up. I did a review of the fall 2003 18 yo version here and there is also a 6 yo version which I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet but you can find plenty of info on either on this board.
    Illuminati in training

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    It wopuld depend on which Sazerac you picked up. I did a review of the fall 2003 18 yo version here and there is also a 6 yo version which I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet but you can find plenty of info on either on this board.
    It just says "Sazerac Rye Whiskey". I paid $27 for it if that helps you.

Thanks
    As he removed the cork from the bottle of bourbon, he threw it across the room and said, "we ain't gonna need that no more".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SippinJim View Post
    It just says "Sazerac Rye Whiskey". I paid $27 for it if that helps you.

Thanks
    Six years old.....Expect light carmel, subdued clove like spice and, to me, anyway, a certain damascus or "the pages of an old book" quality. Of course, your mileage may vary.

If you want an amped up version, get a bottle of Thomas Handy, more everything, especially spice.

Guru

I would add that "Saz Jr" also has the Buffalo Trace house mustiness to it. Some find it a bit offensive and difficult. I look forward to it.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

I just tried Saz for the first time last night, and I found it to be smooth yet spicy and wonderfully balanced.

In truth, I am beginning to like rye more than bourbon.

Trippah and Admin

I don't know if I like it more, but I know that I am building a strong appreciation for it. I've got four in the cabinet (Saz18 and Jr, Templeton and RR) and two more on the way (Ritt BIB and WT).

I should grab another Baby Saz before Ohio runs out (just three left in the state). I could easily see that as a daily pour.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I've not been reading or posting much lately here, so forgive me if this is well-covered terrain: is there a shortage of this product right now? I ask because the local chains only have a handful of bottles on hand. I stopped into THE discount warehouse place today and the stock they had was $37 (by comparison, Weller 12 is $17 there). Is this just a confluence of a local shortage and a mispriced shelf label, or is there a true shortage on?

Regards,

Enthusiast

Baby Saz took me some getting used to, but once I did I found that it had grown on me in a big way.

My previous big rye experiences were Jim Beam Rye (not really impressed), Wild Turkey (honeycomb, similar in style to the bourbon yet different), and Rittenhouse Bottled In Bond which is not only rich and flavorful but about $13 a bottle to boot, making it one of the top values in whiskey. But none of them were like Baby Saz.

I keep likening Baby Saz to Irish pot still - think Redbreast or a blend high in pot still such as Powers - an immense fruity character with a bit of cool brittleness. It has a cinnamon-clove spicy character as well. As I've written elsewhere, Overholt has a slightly similar character but at only 80 proof it doesn't really shine. Baby Saz makes you forget that it's 90 proof.

It's not rye as I've known it, and thus it's something I try to keep on hand when it's available. Makes me wonder what life was like before prohibition, when there were all kinds of different ryes available from Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky, Ohio and elsewhere.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I've not been reading or posting much lately here, so forgive me if this is well-covered terrain: is there a shortage of this product right now?

Regards,

I have wondered the same thing.. good question. Does anyone have any insight into this?
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.