So last night I opened up my first bottle of the BIB and have been highly impressed. This led to me digging for some more info, and what I can gather is:
This unfortunately leads to some unanswered questions if anyone knows:
- The BIB and the 80 proof was made at DSP31 up to the fire
- After the fire the BIB was (is?) made at DSP354 aka Brown-Forman aka Shively
- The BIB is a 6 year
- The 80 proof is a 4 year
- I'm guessing the 80 proof is made at DSP354 as well? What about the Pikesville, the same?
- Why does HH make this rye at DSP354? Why not at their home distillery? Chuck mentions here that they are at capacity at Bernheim, and that may be true. But come on, they can't be making that much rye. Why not do at home? Maybe they have already switched? I just picked up a bottle that has bottom date of 07, so it looks like they were making it at DSP354 at least up to 2001.
- Has anyone compared the true DSP31 BIB to the DSP354 BIB? (The reason I say true DSP31 is because it some of the early DSP354 actually had a DSP31 label.) If so, let us know what you think!