Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 80 PROOF...why?

Disciple

Re: 80 PROOF...why?

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    yep, sounds like what i figured...there is no 'art' in 80 proof...
    I think there's an art to the whole thing. As mentioned, Basil Hayden's IS overpriced AND made by a mega-conglomerate AND available everywhere, but there's definitely a design at work there....it has a unique flavor and attempts to appeal to some audience. It's certainly not one of my favorites and that DOES have a lot to do with the proof, but think that many of these 80 proofers went that way not only to maximize their profits, but also to widen their appeal and to make them easier to consume by people who can't handle stronger hooch.
    WT80 is a fine whiskey to shoot or have with a beer, Beam on the rocks beside a beer is beautiful thing to experience -- it's just not the bourbon experience that a lot of us enjoy....sip and savor.

Everything in It's Right Place.

Cheers!
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Connoisseur

andy, yer right...and i was in snob mode.... ...i actually enjoyed the Old Taylor 6 year i had in november...it was simply enjoyable...but having experienced the depth of higher proof offerings....then, of course, bottlings like Stagg and Van Winkle....whew, it's hard to return to simplicity. but just this weekend, i've nursed (and pretty much knocked out) a whole, quite drinkable JD Gold Medal (90 proof.....) that was a nice 'change'....

i think i asked this question and started the thread because i still want to find something good in the 80 proof. i plan on getting that Benchmark...and, since it's on sale here in PA, the WT80...i hope to be pleasantly surprised.

p.s.
    i never really combined beer with bourbon at once...but this weekend, a Saranac vanilla stout went well with that JD Gold.
    HUP!

Connoisseur

ok, i got that Benchmark and it has to be the best value i've had yet (my tasting notes on anOther site.... ), but wow...

of course, it's 80 proof, thin...

but combined with food (trader joe's joe-joe peppermint cookies for example!) or vatted, it is really stellar!

this is a BT product? well, it's sweetness is unique (like blowpops) but i only wish it was 90 proof. it vatted well with WT101....both benefitted with the blending...
    HUP!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    it vatted well with WT101....both benefitted with the blending...
    What was your blending ratio? 1:1? I'm buying a bottle of each soon, so I'd like to replicate your experiment.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    What was your blending ratio? 1:1? I'm buying a bottle of each soon, so I'd like to replicate your experiment.
    hey jeremy...well, i did three...loosely...

yes, one was a 1:1.

the others were flipsides with one being 2/3 and the 1/3...eyeballed, of course.

but i agree with, i think it was gary, who said vatting 3 different bottlings is more ideal. which i largely agree. you get more depth (naturally) when three are at work.

today, though, is really my last last day of winter break. and with the oatmeal and a banana (and some V8), i am going to enjoy this last little pour of Benchmark. and it really has evey bit of depth that 80 proof can muster!

it will be a staple around here, but will often vat it to simply nitro-boost it (so to speak!), but i want to find something, too (unlike WT) that will blend well with it without overpowering it's unique sweetness.

i can't imagine how good the original version(s) was/were.
    HUP!