Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

Passed up on EWSB 1.16.97 and also Ancient Age 1.75...don't think this one is available in ME anymore, must have been sitting around a while. Anyway, I was intrigued but didn't wanna drop $20 on a plastic bottled handle of 80 proof whiskey I probably wouldn't dig too much.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Look for teh old Glass handles of teh 86 proof AA. I got lucky on two finds in CA after Chrsitmas and they are tasty. I was very surprised....

... and good rule of thumb, if the bourbon is in plastic, leave it.

Disciple

Just because a dusty is in plastic doesn't mean it's worthless or bad. I have had plenty of dusty handles that were outstanding...Yellowstone being one of them.

Sure, I know that older plastic is not as durrable as the new stuff, but it won't stop me from purchasing a wanted label.

Guru

I will give you that... but you really need to look at that plastic... If it had been in teh sunlight for a long time, the browns not the bourbon baby... and not going to taste good... if it has been in a dark area for a long, long time and it was 25 yrs old... maybe... if it was chep I would get it

Virtuoso

I'm not even sure I can count this as passing! The price was silly and I laughed more so than passed!

1969 WT 8 yr old in the wooden crate / Baccarat decanter

This beautiful piece of work can be yours...not mine for a meager $975 + tax

I can not do it! If you want it PM me!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Tony,

I've passed one of those up at $600 plus tax.

It's nice to know that you have limits.

Will

Disciple

On Friday, in the midst of my dusty hunting, I passed up a chance to buy some WTKS. I didn't inspect them too closely as I was soon blinded by the light of 5 BHC bottles, so I purchased those instead, but they were wooden tops -- probably not too old (all of the Rare Breed's were WT03RB). Interestingly, my usual liquor store (the largest in the state) has been out of the WTKS for as long as I can remember -- at least a few months since I've seen a bottle on the shelf there. I wonder why that is.....
    Anyway, the grocery store where I DID see the WTKS was located on Garden Street and I was laughing before I got there that I would have named it Garden Variety, but it was anything but. If I get a hankerin' for some WTKS before my usual place restocks, I'll have to revisit.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I was soon blinded by the light of 5 BHC bottles, so I purchased those instead
    Dang Andy, you are going crazy with the BHC stuff. Which were these?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

I didn't "have" to pass it up, but I did.

I came across a couple OF Repeal sets for twenty bucks apiece. If I were an Old Forester fan I would have bought one, but I'm not. I almost bought it just for the glass and to see if the whiskey in the bottle was enough different from OF 100 to make the purchase worth it. But in the end I left it on the shelf. Twenty dollars for a 375 of something I doubt I'd like very much and one glass was just too much.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by chilidawg7 View Post
    Saw a bottle of (ri)^1 on the shelf but passed it up. I'd like to try it, but wasn't ready to pony up the $49.99 they were asking for it.

I'm having a hard time too... perhaps I'm judgmental to the marketing scheme? Ain't historical!!!

BB