Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

1962 Old Fitz. I'm still heartbroken. The guy loved the decanter in the store, had it for display, and refused to break the seal to empty the juice out for me. He didn't care about the juice in that, or his 10+ old Beam decanters either....

So I'm going to keep busting my ass to find empty decanters, trade him empty nice decanters for the 62 old fitz juice.

Virtuoso

That's a heart breaker.
    Tell him the juice inside represents the heart and soul of the guy who was the master distiller - the decanter represents a marketing graduates idea. Your interested in the accomplishment of the distiller and want to celebrate it before it goes bad. He can continue to appreciate the product of the marketing department.

It works for me sometimes.

Virtuoso

I'm not sure I passed! I just flat out refused to pay the crazy price on the (6) old Wild Turkey Flasks with the 86.8 proof juice in them today! Guy wants $29.99 +tax each! I wanted to ask him if he realizes there's only 200ml in the flask the size of a 375ml bottle. Needless to say I walked, but I know where they are and one day I'll get in there when the kid is there and get those bastages!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I'm not sure I passed! I just flat out refused to pay the crazy price on the (6) old Wild Turkey Flasks with the 86.8 proof juice in them today! Guy wants $29.99 +tax each! I wanted to ask him if he realizes there's only 200ml in the flask the size of a 375ml bottle. Needless to say I walked, but I know where they are and one day I'll get in there when the kid is there and get those bastages!

Tony
    that is nucking futs... I would have told him to pound sand too... I had a guy try to get $150 per WT decanter... I held back my laughter....

Enthusiast

Weller 12 handles run about $35 around here but you have to search a little. I found one 88/00 bottle for that money and am hunting for more.

If you think we're paying too much, check out ebay. ORVW 23 are closing at $225 and one guy is asking $15,000 for a bottle of Mountain Dew because it has a clear bottle. Next time you think your bourbon supply is overpriced, look up your bottle on ebay and take comfort in knowing somebody else paid WAAAAYYYY more.

Enthusiast

I was in Gatlinburg, TN this weekend and wandered into a store that had OFBB '08, Weller 12 (can't find it anywhere in L'ville) and a WTAS priced at 99 bucks.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Guru

All of the current BTAC at $99.99/bottle. This was at a store that usually charges the state minimum. Go figure.

Capitalism isn't it great!
    Last edited by Special Reserve; 11-08-2009 at 16:56.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    All of the current BTAC at $99.99/bottle. This was at a store that usually charges the state minimum. Go figure.

Capitalism isn't it great!
    That's outrageous! Will they actually get rid of them at that price? Makes me feel blessed to have access to the NH Liquor store where they're $52.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    That's outrageous! Will they actually get rid of them at that price? Makes me feel blessed to have access to the NH Liquor store where they're $52.
    Makes me feel better about paying $75 for one recently!

Anyway, on that same, ill-fated trip, I passed up a Rittenhouse 21 (which I have NEVER seen in this state!) and yet another Hancock in the wooden tube but with a sticker on the outside, unlike the previous one I found. I also passed up a WR seasoned wood, and the entire 2009 BTAC except the aforementioned Handy. And about 3 08 OFBBs and 2 OWA 7 y/o
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Just wonderin'--why was it an ill-fated trip?
    Amy