Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Uh?!?

Ditto!!

Good man, you fit in nice here!
    Acquired yesterday, and cracked open late for a taste. couldn't help it! my bunker remains one bottle of pappy 20, one bottle of gold foil hirsch. Everything else is open.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I went to Erie, PA today to participate in a non-bourbon hobby (Geocaching) and of course I had to check out the PALCB site for any bargains before we departed. I spied Rock Hill Farms on clearance for $36.00 and a store near where we were going had a bottle in stock.

Well, the bottle wasn't on the shelf when I got there and when I asked the manager about it, he told me that they were holding it for another customer.

Really.

It's safe to say that I will no longer patronize the PALCB stores when I visit.
    Had the exact same thing happen to me in mid-September. PA was closing out the Rare Breed for $21.99. I was making a trip through PA on business and used the PLCB website to identify stores that still had inventory. All 4 stores that I visited gave me the same story. The store in State College did give up the 2 bottles that they had been holding when I pressed them on the issue. The other 3 stores could not have cared less.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

My daughter is doing a report on Abraham Lincoln, so I thought I'd pick up a bottle of Knob Creek. Ya knooooowwwww, as a learrrrrrning tool, and I'm big on education. Yeah, that's the ticket....But, as it was nearly $30, and the shortage will be over this month , I passed.

No harm though, as my local store has recently added the Two Hearted Ale to their Bell's lineup. Picked up a six pack, and saved myself $20. Brilliant!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I loooooove Two Hearted. Hops are good!
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Connoisseur

Way to many to list. On a recent trip up to DC I was directed by Greg to a store that he said had a good selection of current offerings. Man was he ever telling the truth. If it is currently on the market this store had it. Outside of Ky this is the best store I have ever been in. To bad I had just about burned through my bourbon budget or I would have taken a lot more home with me.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    My daughter is doing a report on Abraham Lincoln, so I thought I'd pick up a bottle of Knob Creek. Ya knooooowwwww, as a learrrrrrning tool, and I'm big on education. Yeah, that's the ticket....But, as it was nearly $30, and the shortage will be over this month , I passed.

No harm though, as my local store has recently added the Two Hearted Ale to their Bell's lineup. Picked up a six pack, and saved myself $20. Brilliant!!!
    Oh man, i wish icould find KC for nearly 30 bucks. Post shortage, I've seen it over 40 up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby K View Post
    Oh man, i wish icould find KC for nearly 30 bucks. Post shortage, I've seen it over 40 up here.
    Where's up here? You might put this info on your profile.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Passed on 2 PVW15's at 63...It's my favorite and I may go back but I still have a bunch (5 or so) that I only paid $50 for so it hurts to pay that much now. Also passed on a 2009 Stagg at $70 (have 3 in the bunker) and 2 lot B's at $52 (also have 3 of these bunkered).
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Passed on 2 PVW15's at 63...It's my favorite and I may go back but I still have a bunch (5 or so) that I only paid $50 for so it hurts to pay that much now. Also passed on a 2009 Stagg at $70 (have 3 in the bunker) and 2 lot B's at $52 (also have 3 of these bunkered).
    I love the VW expressions but see them very rarely -- you obviously know where to go to find them. The $50 price tag can be had in NH, but they get one small shipment a year. It's too expensive for me to buy regularly, but if I knew where to pick some up, I would stash it as I could afford to. I do know a couple of places in Mass, maybe they're the same places you're going to.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Makes me feel better about paying $75 for one recently!

Anyway, on that same, ill-fated trip, I passed up a Rittenhouse 21 (which I have NEVER seen in this state!) and yet another Hancock in the wooden tube but with a sticker on the outside, unlike the previous one I found. I also passed up a WR seasoned wood, and the entire 2009 BTAC except the aforementioned Handy. And about 3 08 OFBBs and 2 OWA 7 y/o
    Did manage to pick up a 09 Handy @ State min, but passed on the 2nd one and a Saz 17 09'. Not enough cash in the pocket. Will likely be going pack but the store is a trip. Not seen any WLW or Stagg, anywhere in State.
    TJ