Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?

Is this what it looked like? If so, too bad it's so pricey. Those are nice finds. That Weller Cent is good SW whiskey.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Is this what it looked like? If so, too bad it's so pricey. Those are nice finds. That Weller Cent is good SW whiskey.
    Yes, it is exactly what I saw. I am assuming this pic is taken in your house right? I did not leave without a fight over the price for this set. He said the only one people ever ask for is the GD. I told him I would take the rest off his hands and I would leave the GD.....still no.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Guru

The picture is from a post here on SB. Well, I hope the guy likes looking at the bottles day in and day out as they may sit there a very long time. Even if you offered him $300, that still more than nothing.

Maybe give it a couple of months and go back and ask again. You may wear him down.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    The picture is from a post here on SB. Well, I hope the guy likes looking at the bottles day in and day out as they may sit there a very long time. Even if you offered him $300, that still more than nothing.

Maybe give it a couple of months and go back and ask again. You may wear him down.
    Yeah, I am hoping they sit till they have to get rid of them. I would think a "reasonable" price would be in the $200 range. Still, that is $40 a bottle. I do not know what these bottles sell for except the VSOF (~$38). I am assuming that is about the going price for the rest of them.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Enthusiast

Beam Black at $19.99—*I really like the Distiller's Series though... just can't get it around here. BB

I had an Ezra Brooks 12 yr SB in my hand today to buy and at the last min put it back. After reading tasting notes on it on another site tonight I wish now I had gotten it. Well next time I'm in MO I'll get it.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Stagg '08 and ER17 '08. Over $60 each is too pricey in my books. They are decent pours but not worth the hefty tag me thinks...
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Disciple

I left a cherry wood topped WTKS from Feb '07 in lieu of some BHC VSOF. I don't think I'll miss the Wild Turkey.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Delivered a special bottle of bourbon to the manager at Everett's Thursday night. Was he ever a happy man. (Thanks Oscar, and Tony too) I'm still waiting on their single barrel bottling of Weller SR. I almost bit the bullet and bought a bottle of Pappy 20. Was $139.00, on sale for $109.00. Decided to pass and wait on the Weller SR. First time I've ever left a liquor store with more money in my pocket than what I came in with. I got home and the wife asked me what I bought. Told her nothing and had more money than I started with. She said "Who are you and where's my husband?" Gotta love it. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

I passed up a Dickel Barrel Select for $39.99 at a store in Massachussetts. I really like Dickel, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on this one -- it's a lower proof than the Dickel No.12 and it costs three times as much. The only reason I even thought about it is because I never see them anywhere -- maybe someday if I get desperate for somehting new to try, but I kind of doubt it.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy