Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 11/08: Four Roses Small Batch

The arrival of November ushers in the season for giving thanks. Thanks to friends and family for their support throughout the year, thanks for another year of good health and fortune, and thanks for good bourbon whiskey! One distillery that every bourbon lover should be thankful for is Four Roses, both for the good bourbon they make, and for their continually expanding distribution zones. Once available only in KY, now more of the country has the opportunity to stop and smell (and taste) the roses.

This month we'll focus on the Small Batch. Tasty, handsomely packaged and moderately priced, Four Roses Small Batch is the perfect aperitif to your Thanksgiving meal, and your guests will be thankful for your good taste! Take a minute and share with us how thankful you are for Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon.

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 11/08: Four Roses Small Batch

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Take a minute and share with us how thankful you are for Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon.

Sound off
    Earlier this year I happened on a neighborhood liqour store just north of the Alabama line and was drooling all over the great selection of whiskies when I noticed two bottles of Four Roses. Up until that point I believed that Four Roses sent all their whiskey overseas. I picked up the small batch and single barrel and headed for the register.

At home I cracked the 90 proof 4R small batch open and poured off a dram. I liked both bottle designs and labels as they show off the whiskey and Four Roses logo in an interesting way. The color is a light amber, almost like a Bahama dark rum. The nose came off as oak and a slightl prickly varnish. The taste started out sweet and creamy with the mid palate giving way to the oak tannins and dry peppery spice. The finish faded on peppery oak tannins balanced with a light fruit syrup.

The contrast of creamy sweetness with dry peppery oak makes for an interesting taste experience. To me this is a light duty whiskey with just enough kick to remind you it's not your grandma's sherry.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Dramiel McHinson; 10-30-2008 at 19:59.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Pour it out. ... ...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

This is strange, getting an early start on the month when we are normally running a bit behind...

As for the FRSmB, I think this is a wonderfully balanced whiskey, one that won't interrupt the other things you want to contemplate at the moment with strange or jarring flavors and one that is interesting enough that it can be the thing you are contemplating. It is one of the best "any time, any mood" whiskies on the market, IMO.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

I need to try some of yours. The one I had was bland with a nasty finish...

Virtuoso

4RSmB was the first bourbon that made me say "Wow!!"

I had just started getting into bourbon and was in the process of expanding tasting experience. One Friday night my wife accompanied me to the Liquor store and I let her pick out the bottle (there were still so many I had not tried). She picked 4 Roses Small Batch because it was a pretty bottle - I tried to convince her that Blantons and Rock Hill Farms were in much prettier bottles, but that did not work. Oh well, I was happy to bring home a new bottle from a distillery I had not tried.

When I had my first pour I was blown away. I was disappointed to be tasting it by myself because I wanted to be able to discuss its taste with others.

It was the first bourbon I had where the alcohol content was not immediately apparent. Its flavor hits you early and then hangs on. The best word I can put to it is "balanced." It combines the perfect level of sweetness and spiciness.

I first had 4RSmB about 6 months ago. Since then, it is one of the few bourbons that has consistently been on my shelf. I find it to be dangerously drinkable. I will have flings with other bourbons, but every time I have a pour of this still stuff, I still stop and say "Wow, that is a great bourbon."

When I have people over who are only used to Jack and Jim, I almost always pour them this and Old Charter 10.

Connoisseur

where can this be found in the northeast (PA, DE, MD, NJ...if at all)?

what's the basic price range? i've only seen a dusty of the BLENDED...but i hear it is awful
    HUP!

Enthusiast

Excellent. I just picked up a bottle on the way home Friday.

I enjoyed a small pour of the Single Barrel last night, but now that I know the SmB is a BOTM, I will have to open that one up as well.

FYI. FRSmB found in CT @ 29.99
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Guru

I enjoyed a pour of the "first release" last night. A very nice pour with some fruitiness, spice and everything nice.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

I am already on record as not liking FRSmallB.
    I went thru a bottle and thought maybe I should try another.
    I did and half way thru I said, nope not for me and I gave the rest away.
    ovh