Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM 12/08: George T Stagg '08

My apologies again for the late start this month. Let's finish out this year on a high (proof) note: George T Stagg '08. At 141.8 proof, this is one of the stronger releases, but the alcohol doesn't overpower some of the more subtle nuances that make this more than just a winter warmer. Celebrate the season with Santa and Stagg!

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 12/08: George T Stagg '08

dang! i was about to buy it a few days ago, but economics means choices...and i am too close to shelling out $53+ for my first Handy Sazerac...

man o man....still, looking with interest at the reviews for those who have tried this year's expression.
    HUP!

Disciple

Haven't seen this anywhere around New England, but it's been on my mind, lately -- the proof is so high!!!

I may have to go online, but am not sure if anyone will ship into ME....
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Haven't seen this anywhere around New England, but it's been on my mind, lately -- the proof is so high!!!

I may have to go online, but am not sure if anyone will ship into ME....
    Julio's may be able to help your NE issues... I have two there... if you need one of them... its yours...

This BOTM gives me a good reason to open mine up... thanks Jeff....

Connoisseur

I have two '08s and one '07.

I am very probably going to take a guy up on his offer to trade one of my bottles of GTS '08 for 8 bottles of Weller Cenntenial (!).

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Julio's may be able to help your NE issues... I have two there... if you need one of them... its yours...

This BOTM gives me a good reason to open mine up... thanks Jeff....
    Thanks, M. I don't think I'll make it back to Julio's any time soon, though...leastways not before the holidays.

Plus, if I'm any naughtier before Christmas, Santa is gonna write me off.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Oh Goodness.

So far I have tasting notes and ratings on 52 whiskeys. George T Stagg '08 is at the very top of that list.

I was visiting in my favorite liquor store when the owner invited me back to try some of this. At that time, it the most expensive, highest proof, oldest bourbon I had ever had. After trying it, I could add "best" to that list of superlatives.

In the glass it is deep mahogany color with an obvious high viscosity. Just by the color you can tell it is either high proof of extra aged. In this case, it is both.

On the first sip, the burn hits you, but it is not like the burn on WT101 or Weller Antique. It is a whole new catagory. It is more a warmth that spreads through your mouth and down your throat rather than a harshness.

The first sip coated my entire mouth in a way I had never experienced before. By the second sip, I could not feel the burn at all but instead had to wrestle with the complex flavors to try and pick out what was swimming around in there. Up front there is a definite sweetness that cannot be ignored. When that is combined with the high viscosity, you almost have to call this bourbon "syrupy." In fact, that was the clearest flavor I could pull out - pancake syrup. I have heard that description used before and I must say it is right on.

Now we get to the finish. Lets see.... I tasted that about 5 days ago and I think I can still pick up hints of the Stagg on my palatte. ;-) In all actuality, the single 1/2 shot I had hung around in my mouth for at least 30 minutes with a clear flavor profile lingering for at least 2 minutes.

If you can get this for $60-70 you need to stock up. If you can find it for $100 I still think its a deal. This is the bourbon I will be dreaming about.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Kickert, you got it right.
    This year's Stagg is one of the best.
    Definitely better than the '06 and '07.
    ovh

Connoisseur

I was going to stick with just WLW from this year's BTAC, but the reviews from AC Detroit & Oscar were so good I couldn't pass it up... Since then I've been going back & forth with pours from the '07 & '08 Stagg to compare. '07 is good, but '08 is better.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Guru

Opened it tonight after I had that great ER... here are my thoughts:

Nose
    Ohhh baby… this grabs you from the start. Like that blond vixon at the end of the bar you know is going to hurt you later… but you go down for a “chat” anyhow

There is some smoke/charcoal in the scent and A touch of earth and a light tint of oak. Some vanilla is trying to crawl out of the glass with some rye and leather. This is big and you know it... cannot wait to sip on this juice.

Taste:
    The taste on this beast is just what you thought the blond would be… sweet with a kick in you head. There is a little earth and smoke to go with that creamy vanilla juice.

You know the rye is there, but it does not dominate the taste, more in perfect balance

Finish:
    They say you save the best for last. This finish is crazy good. There is so much here it goes on long past 60 seconds. The smoke blends with that creamy blond vanilla juice that keeps you coming back. What a heart braker... you know you can never get enough before she is gone.

Overall
    WOW what a bourbon. Not for the meek. This, straight/neat/pure/etc should be taken with caution!!! By the end of ounce one, the rest of the bottle is in danger. This is as good as the early versions. Usually the lower proofs have been the best, but this is in the top 3 Staggs. A blind taste is in order.