Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 12/08: George T Stagg '08

Cross posted from the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread:

Popped open a bottle of GTS '08 tonight.

Wow. This ranks WAY up there on my list of great bourbons. I've consumed many different bourbons in my day, and a select few would qualify as being not merely a drink, but an 'experience.' This is one of the latter.
    ____
    Chris

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chilidawg7 View Post
    ...Wow. This ranks WAY up there on my list of great bourbons. I've consumed many different bourbons in my day, and a select few would qualify as being not merely a drink, but an 'experience.' This is one of the latter.
    About the only thing I can add is a little bit goes a long way!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    Although I've picked up both Handy and W. LaRue Weller, I have shied away from picking up Stagg because I did not care for Buffalo Trace, and my understanding is that Stagg is made from the same "low rye" mashbill as BT.
    If that were the case Stagg and Water would taste like Buffalo Trace, which couldn't be further from the truth IMO.

I like to cut the Stagg to the point of light honey color, with legs that stream down the glass effortlessly. Probably around 80*. Then I let it sit there ten minutes and smell it. Reminds me of a pair of Rick House worker's Carhartts, with a brand new wallet in the back pocket, and assorted Smokey Mountain Taffies in the front.

I'd say do yourself a favor and pick one up, to go with its barrel proof brothers. Or you could get some barrel proof Blantons from Japan...

Apprentice

What a treat!

I thought I would not find any comprable to Pappy 15 in the same price range. This pour ranks equal with the PVW15 but for different reasons.

I opened this bottle last night to share with a friend and I have never had a bourbon be the cause of so much conversation. We both could not believe the level, complexity, and changing flavors encounterd.

I normally do not drink neat, but I could not bring myself to cut this nectar of the Kentucky gods down.

Instantly warming when it hits your mouth. Not the WOW is that strong response that I have had to some uncut bourbons. It was a potent, but welcome warming.

Flavors at various times along the way:
    Brown Sugar
    Molasses
    Caramel
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg
    Cotton Candy (yes cotton candy)

I'm glad I have some reserve of this one.

Can I vote ER17 '08 as the January BOTM?

Disciple

I'm with Skunk on cuttin. I start neat and slowly add water to the honey color level, and find that the Stagg just starts to explode with flavor.

Taster

stagg was an instant favorite of mine, just about this time last year when Dougdog turned me on to it.
    I have tasted,well ok, consumed the 144.8 three bottles are not enough for the whole year.
    I also got my hands on one of the 131.8 and have just recently tasted this years version.
    I do believe a head to head is in order.
    of all the flavors listed, I am surprised no one has mentioned cherry chocolate, this is the most overwhelming note imo.

Bill

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by billthewoodguy View Post
    of all the flavors listed, I am surprised no one has mentioned cherry chocolate, this is the most overwhelming note imo.
    Interesting; I believe that Jim Murray noted cherry flavors, if not cherry chocolate, years ago in Ancient Age Barrel 107, which was a 107 proof expression of Ancient Age that has been discontinued.

Taster

Story of my life... seems like when I really like something it's in short supply or not available at all.

Bill

Novice

Hmmm Sounds good. But can only find 1 stockest in Australia and they want AU$399.00 (US$275) each .

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Kickert, you got it right.
    This year's Stagg is one of the best.
    Definitely better than the '06 and '07.
    Hey Oscar,

Didn't you and I try this one neat at our get together a few weeks ago? If I remember right, I couldn't believe how great it tasted for such a high proof. Or, was I drinking something else with you that I now no longer remember?

Mark