Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 12/08: George T Stagg '08

Poly, don't be afraid to add a touch of water. I find that the sweeter notes really emerge to the forefront with a touch of water. GTS is an absolute dream. So glad that it is helping you get through the snow. Enjoy. Can't wait to see your notes, mine always end up blurry and happy.

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 12/08: George T Stagg '08

i am not one to measure water drops or splashes...i think i found a good, intuitive micro-splash and am getting a really nice nose and taste...but don't feel ready to include the brain and lingual remarks after this long HALF day at school!

but it's scary with just THIS bottle of bourbon in the house...i just knocked out the remains of WTrye, Weller Antique and the impressive Fighting Cock...i need something mid-shelf to keep me from tapping this last bottle (i know of!)....
    HUP!

Connoisseur

Notes!

appearance: even with a splash of water, it retains that deep, reddish-brown maple syrup color (i don't measure, but i think it's a 1:5 ratio roughly...water:stagg)

nose: heady caramel-toffee-chocolate with a background of black strap molasses; organic, earthy floral notes; dried-cranberries fondued in honey and more chocolate

taste: too many words come up, too many possible references (even in my limited bourbon vocabulary); i got the right mix of water...simply opened this up in an intense, gaping way; got the alcohol, but it was twisted in, double-helix like, with the torrent of flavors. ok, next attempt, and i get butterscotch melted and drizzled on pecans, oaky assertions, dark fruit marmalade slathered on beer bread! etc...

finish: the oaky dryness is played off by continued buttery sour creaminess...and spicy sweetness (like raw honey)...i know i am in the presence greater than my tongue and nose...sensations continue at both assertive and equally subtle levels. as amazing as the previous Stagg...i originally thought that the sister bottle of rye, the Handy Saz, was better. no, just different. can't compare. each are testaments to what great distilling can be.

i will be sad when this one is gone.
    HUP!