Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

2008 BTAC ER 17yr

Have y'all had this yet. This is crazy good. Like S-W meets heavy cream vanilla ice cream while enjoying a cup of English Afternoon tea... and not like the Vintage 17yr tea, the nice light earth, cream and rye type...

I have one... I will be finding more...

Administrator in exile

Re: 2008 BTAC ER 17yr

I didn't see the first bottle in Lexington. I would love to try some during the sampler...hint, hint.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Virtuoso

I'll bring one to Sampler Jeff! I'll remind you to have a drink as well .

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

I just tried this tonight and I have to agree with Emerald -- lots of tea flavor mixed with a touch of whipped cream and a long, long oak finish. Subtle but memorable...heck, unforgettable.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Did a side-by-side tasting of this with the regular 10 year expression...here were my notes...

ER10...
    Nose: Strong oak, a hint of vanilla and maple sugar, strong alcohol vapors
    First Sip: Spicy rye, oak and leather...not harsh but very in-your-face.
    Next: Sweetness opens up and I'm getting that maple sugar I smelled, a softer feel in the mouth although the alcohol is definitely present in the flavor.
    Finish: Fairly longish with a great lingering oak and hints of ripe fruit.

BTAC ER17...
    Nose: Very woody/tannic, but hardly any alcohol burn in the nose
    First Sip: Soft, silky texture is the first thing I notice followed by a touch of creamy caramel...it tastes vaguely woody, but most of this is still in the nose.
    Next: Vanilla. The entire flavor profile in this seems very subtle.
    Finish: Soft lingering wood that goes on forever...I imagine the barrel resting in a pastoral meadow with soft moss growing all over it....delicious.

After that, I decided to vat the two together 1:1 to see what I came up with...I was very pleased with the results:

ER10 & 17 Vat....
    Nose: Maple sugar...woody but so sweet
    First Sip: The flavor almost knocked me over it was so big...much more so than either alone...rye, very strong tea with cream, and sweet maple
    Finish: The tea flavor continues and is joined by that wonderful soft oak.

This combo is a real winner (if not especially inventive). I'm usually a purist and don't get into vatting, but I'll definitely be doing this again. When I finished this pour I started all over again with the 10 to the 17 and then mixed the two again...everything was a lot sweeter the second time around, but this was just a great night of bourbon tasting!
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Taster

Great notes, I'll have to try that. I haven't opened this years ER17 or my ER10 for that matter, just as soon as I get over this cold I'll get to it. GTS has been very medicinal this week.
    Fwisge For All!

Virtuoso

I gotta say I loved the ER17 - it is better than the 10 SB. However, given it costs more than double the regular offering, I think I will stick with the 10 yo expression. It ends up it my top 5 list, but is pretty low on my value list.

-bk
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I gotta say I loved the ER17 - it is better than the 10 SB. However, given it costs more than double the regular offering, I think I will stick with the 10 yo expression. It ends up it my top 5 list, but is pretty low on my value list.

-bk
    A little less than double for me...$48 vs. $27, but I hear what you're saying...luckily I bunkered one for a special occasion, because I don't think I could buy this with any regularity (even on an annual basis)....neither would be high on my value list (I assume, math hurts my pea-sized brain ).

Andy

Virtuoso

I can't believe you can get BTAC for under $50. For that price, I could see myself buying a bottle.

If I am spending $50+ I want something that is completely unlike anything on my shelf. That is why GTS holds such a high place in my heart.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I can't believe you can get BTAC for under $50.
    Yup, the NH Liquor Store & its low, low price is the about the only advantage I have up here. Big sacrifice as far as selection goes, though, so keep that in mind (although the holidays seem to have brought out some rare finds) -- can't get much without heavy traveling either (& even the NH Liquor Store is a two-hour roundtrip plus $8 in tolls). Count your own blessings, my friend.

Andy