Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter '08/'09

Last night it was AAA 10yr.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Guru

Tonight its Weller Antique.

Paul, you're right the colder the bourbon the less perceptible the taste.
    A lot of folks like Ice in their bourbon, rye or other whiskey. And it is commonly advised for newbies who are having trouble acclimating themselves to drinking neat. To me, Ice accentuates the ethanol, even though it dilutes the whiskey, and blunts the flavors. I have always thought this is counterproductive when trying to acclimate a newbie to taking his whiskey neat. If asked about It I've always said leave the ice for your Ice tea and dilute your whiskey with a bit of water, if you find it too strong. I've even taken some flak for advising against ice.

I have heard the story of Jimmy Russell keeping WTRB in the freezer. Why would he do that? I don't know. I don't understand it, but it is hard to criticize it, I mean, he's Jimmy Russell.............
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 02-18-2009 at 20:16.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I have heard the story of Jimmy Russell keeping WTRB in the freezer. Why would he do that? I don't know. I don't understand it, but it is hard to criticize it, I mean, he's Jimmy Russell.............
    I thought I posted on this earlier, but I don't see it...anyway, here are my notes on Rare Breed from this summer when I was a true blue noob:

When I first tried this (on my 30th birthday), it was the best bourbon I had ever had. It has a very herbal (almost floral) quality, the sweet taste present in all of the Wild Turkey bourbons and a nice, though understated, rye finish. As I've made my way through the bottle (and tried many other bourbons in the meantime), however, I have reassessed my original opinion slightly. It is very tasty and has flavor not present in other whiskies I've tried (herbs, etc.) but it is a little intense in the alcohol department. I did (upon reading that Jimmy Russell did this) stick the bottle in the freezer and have since come to think of this as a bit too harsh. Maybe the lower temperature makes me less cautious, but I've definitely got burned on the black tongue by this stuff several times.

It's too easy to drink out of the freezer, and I think the flavor does suffer due to the low temp -- I keep WLW SR in the freezer but I usually let it warm up a little before pouring any.

Anyway, last night I had a few Dickel No.12 pours, neat. Very good, but simple and one-dimensional -- I'm trying to empty some bottles to make room for new stuff that should be arriving in the mail anytime.

Last edited by funknik; 02-19-2009 at 07:03.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I recall someone here suggesting I try EC 18 out of the freezer? I did at one time try Weller 12 in a variety of fashions, From the Freezer, Heated a like Brandy over a glass of boiled water, with a couple ice cubes and neat. I recall the Freezer glass being more sublte in everything (nose and taste). The heated up glass maybe intensified the nose more than anything. It was kind of interesting, but I guess I should have figured the different methods would impact it quite a bit.
    Todd

Guru

Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf,... and yes, neat.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Just tried FRSmB for the first time. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't do much for me. I'll see how I feel as I go through the bottle, but at first taste, it was underwhelming to me.

Taster

Oscar,
    nice choice, one of my favorites. Just purchased two bottles and the price went WAY up.
    I am having a nice pour of Lot B.

Advanced Taster

Lunch - 08 Handy
    Cooking Dinner - Woodford Reserve
    Doing Homework - Eagle Rare SB

Guru

Finally made it to Friday
    So a nice pour of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Mar '04, neat.
    ovh

Virtuoso

My curiosity about rye finally got the best of me today, so I bought a baby Saz. Absolutely fantastic. I don't know what the hell took me so long but I'm glad I finally made the jump. This current bottling just has it all, at least from my uninformed perspective. Deep, rich, spicy (not a harsh, bitter spiciness like I half-expected), a little woody, complex... I'm sold.

To those of you who've prodded me to get off my ass and go for a rye, I hereby salute you with a big double.

Cheers!!!!