Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter '08/'09

ERSB with a smoked brisket sandwich on ciabatta and sweet tater fries.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

Popped open a bottle of GTS '08 tonight.

Wow. This ranks WAY up there on my list of great bourbons. I've consumed many different bourbons in my day, and a select few would qualify as being not merely a drink, but an 'experience.' This is one of the latter.
    ____
    Chris

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I believe the later gold foils became victim of being in the tank too long. I had some Hirsch Blue Wax last night and it was fantastic. I also have an open gold foil and it's nasty neat and ruins whatever I try to mix with it. You probably have a late gold foil in which case time will not make it better.
    Thanks Greg, guess I'll just leave it in the back. What I don't get is how it is currently commanding $200+. It wouldn't be priced that high unless someone was paying that much. I'm bummed and I paid less that 1/2 that, what a waste.

Oh well, tonight is a new bottle of GTS '08. What a treat! Either it is better than the '07 or I just needed to get rid of the taste of the Hirsch!

Jim

Virtuoso

VSOF and BD.com Pappy 15
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by onmytrack View Post
    Thanks Greg, guess I'll just leave it in the back. What I don't get is how it is currently commanding $200+. It wouldn't be priced that high unless someone was paying that much. I'm bummed and I paid less that 1/2 that, what a waste.

Oh well, tonight is a new bottle of GTS '08. What a treat! Either it is better than the '07 or I just needed to get rid of the taste of the Hirsch!

Jim
    Jim,

The price you are seeing is a result of the earlier releases and the fact that it's a highly rated bourbon. Unfortunately, Preiss left it tanked too long which had negative side effects on the later bottlings. Keep in mind that the bourbon reached it's 16th year around 1990. There have been three primary releases, Blue Wax, Gold Wax and then a number of gold foil, rated best to worst in order of release. It's unfortunate that people are paying such a premium on the chance they get a later gold foil and find the bourbon is undrinkable. Just recently, someone reported finding two Blue Wax sitting on the shelf of some convenience store....$235 each. For the Blue Wax...I think it's worth it.

Just to make sure my palate wasn't broken, I had friend who's palate is bourbon tuned try my bottle of gold foil. His comment...."tastes like a$$"
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Tonight I enjoyed a mid 80's Rebel Yell and then moved on to the Julio's release of RHF. That Rock Hill is a cherry fiesta.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Went to my wife's company Christmas party tonight. Had MM on the rocks all night. I still like MM. Besides, the alternative was JB White. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It's warm here, but had to start a fire in the outdoor fireplace. Have a nice selection of Christmas decorations out back too, to gaze at. Sat out there for a couple of hours contemplating life with a couple of pours of BT (Good), 04 ER17 (Gooder), and McScrooges S-W Pappy 15 (Goodest!). A handful of smoked almonds, and a Padron and Hemingway Best Seller, and JoeyWorld was open for business!! I's gots it all figgered out, now.
    Cheers!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

After a long haul of a night at the Job...just after 1 AM here on the left coast.

WTRB, a double.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Virtuoso

Started with some WLW'05. I've really been enjoying this bottle, and will be sad to see it gone. Since there's only an inch left in this one, I cracked open my new WLW'08. Wow....nice!