Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter '08/'09

A couple of WTRR101s at work made the afternoon go a lot quicker.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Virtuoso

I'm a bit predictable, I guess. Having a nice pour of ERSB10 in my favorite oversized (wide) lowball glass. On the way back to my workspace from my house, glass in hand, I heard a little saw-whet owl chirping away like mad in the dark woods. Spring may actually be on its way.

I've professed my love for ERSB10 here many times in the past, but I've gotta say thay the bottles I've had in the last several months have been quite exceptional. A little extra time in the glass rewards your patience with extra richness and balance. Mighty fine hooch.

Cheers!

Apprentice

I picked up a $10 bottle of Old Charter to see if I could reduce my weekly spending on bourbon and maybe save my better bottles for the weekends...I now know the difference between a $10 bottle of bourbon and a $40 bottle of bourbon! Not sayin' OC is not worthy, and I'll continue the study, but I'm glad the weekend is here!

Seriously, the OC was a little better with a splash of water, and I can see myself working the cats and dogs during the week!

Billy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
    I picked up a $10 bottle of Old Charter to see if I could reduce my weekly spending on bourbon and maybe save my better bottles for the weekends...I now know the difference between a $10 bottle of bourbon and a $40 bottle of bourbon! Not sayin' OC is not worthy, and I'll continue the study, but I'm glad the weekend is here!

Seriously, the OC was a little better with a splash of water, and I can see myself working the cats and dogs during the week!

Billy
    How old was the OC? I've had the 10, and two editions of the OCPR (13) but I've never had the 8, or seen any of them for only $10!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

This was a 750ml 8 year old (80proof) off the ABC store's shelf. Alabama is a control state, so there is not too many dusty bottles around. It was the only OC I could find. I almost picked up an AAA 10* 1.75 instead but I was not real happy with the plastic bottle...

Billy

Advanced Taster

Last night I killed off a Woodford Reserve and I put a dent into my EW Millenium. Still trying to clear out the bad bourbon...

Last night I had some Don Julio 1942. Who would have thought that tequila could be nice?

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

Found 3 sloped OCPRs so I had to sneak a quick sip (from the bottle!) at work.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Klepackage View Post
    Found 3 sloped OCPRs so I had to sneak a quick sip (from the bottle!) at work.
    Nice Chris! You may want to start attending meetings !

You know you can't post that with out stating your thoughts on the bottle, or at least your impression! Man you're killing us here!!

!!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

1) Started with a Scratch-style Old Fashioned:

1/4 tsp. demerara sugar
    Generous swath of orange peel (sliced razor thin-no pith)
    One maraschino cherry
    1 1/2 tsp+ original Amer Picon

Muddle gently in an old fashioned glass to release the orange oils and dissolve the sugar. Add:

2 oz. 86 proof Old Overholt Rye from PA
    Cracked ice to fill glass

Stir 1 minute. Add one maraschino cherry soaked in bourbon and a bar spoon of the maraschino syrup/bourbon.

2) Then decided to vat equal parts WT 8yr 101 and Benchmark Single Barrel. Didn't care for this at all so had to taste the component parts separately.

The WT (one of my favorite whiskies) was true to form, but the Benchmark Single Barrel was surprising. A lot of white fruit and mint. Very tingly on the palate. So much spice that I might have mistaken this for the higher proof whiskey. An absolutely bright pour. Much more appealing than on first opening.

3) Old Taylor Bond from the 70's. The strip is worn so I only know that this was made in '72. No idea when it was bottled, though it's post-metric since it's a 500 ml bottle. Oh heaven! The candy store nose. Butterscotch and sugar plums. And a wonderful balance of sweet and spice just tipping to the wood at the end of a very long finish. Gorgeous whiskey.

To borrow and bastardize phrases from the Bard, "Oh, the difference of whiskey and whiskey...Age cannot wither her (debatable) nor custom stale her infinite variety!"

-Mike
    Last edited by scratchline; 03-06-2009 at 18:29.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis