Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter '08/'09

Made my first purchase of a WT 8yo 101 and a WT Rye 101, can't wait to try the WT Rye as the only rye i've experienced so far is JB Rye which is great.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Made my first purchase of a WT 8yo 101 and a WT Rye 101, can't wait to try the WT Rye as the only rye i've experienced so far is JB Rye which is great.
    If you like Beam Rye Tym, you will love the WT Rye.
    Did you find it locally or did it come from Nicks? Pernod Ricard do have stocks of it in Australia, but at this stage I believe they are only selling it to bars (there isn't much around)

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Disciple

Picked up half a dozen BHC-era VSOFs today....obsess much, do I?
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Taster

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.
    I can not wait to try.

Disciple

A couple of days ago I got a parcel with 2 1/10 botles and 0ne 0,75. The 1/10 was ND OGD 114 and a no age Michters dekanter. The 0,75 was OO from Frankfurt (Old Granddad).

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Advanced Taster

WTAS
    PVW 15
    PVW 20
    BMH Small Batch
    Weller Special Reserve
    08 WLW BTAC

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    If you like Beam Rye Tym, you will love the WT Rye.
    Did you find it locally or did it come from Nicks? Pernod Ricard do have stocks of it in Australia, but at this stage I believe they are only selling it to bars (there isn't much around)

Scott
    Hey Scott!
    Yeah i purchased it from whiskygalore.co.nz, it may be slightly cheaper than Nicks. I think i will love it too, still waiting for it to arrive. I read your post about the 10 bottles you got from Binny's or somewhere and the customs kills you huh! Sheesh! C'mon Aussie dollar!!!

Cheers, Tym.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Connoisseur

Revisited Beam distilleries with the purchase of some Bakers. Might be a while before I get around to cracking this one. The mrs is starting to get goggle eyed at the number of open bottles around the house

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    In keeping with Virus_Of_Life's observation that winter has begun (and as a Chicago resident who took three times as long to get home from work last night due to a heavy snowstorm plus winds plus 15 MPH drivers minus plows minus sand minus road salt, I am convinced), Here's a new "What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today?" thread for Old Man Winter.

I warmed up with Weller Antique. Very worthy pour; noticeably different from ORVW 10/107 - not as much depth or richness as ORVW has - but quite stellar on its own.

We're very fortunate to have quite excellent whiskey available to us at very reasonable prices. This one is $18.99 at Binny's.
    I drink so little these days that I had vowed to buy no more bourbon for the foreseeable future.

However, today I had occasion to head down to Phoenix to pick up a bass amp. I couldn't resist swinging by Trader Joe's and Sportsman's Fine Wines and Spirits.

Unlike the TJ's I recall from SoCal five years ago this one had no liquor. Sportsman's had a few bottlings I've never tried, even though their overall selection was pathetic compared to, say, Hi Time in Costa Mesa, CA. (Due to lack of time I zoomed right past a BevMo. Perhaps I should have stopped.)

Surprisingly the gentleman who served me knew off the top of his head that Van Winkle bourbons come in 10, 12, 15 and 20 year-old bottlings. (None were in stock; he said he could get them in two business days.) I thought it would be priggish to note that he failed to mention the 23 year-old. He also knew that there is no such distillery as Black Maple Hill and mentioned two sources for the the whiskey so named. Such knowledge seems incongruous in light of the meager selection.

I picked up what I believe y'all call Baby Saz, although the bottle carries no such appellation, and Weller Antique.

They had [I believe] the current bottling of George T. Stagg, but at a price of $68 I found it easy to resist.

BTW the temperature in the Phoenix area (actually Glendale) reached 77 degrees this afternoon. Maybe I should have held up this post until spring reaches the rest of the country, too.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-16-2009 at 00:29.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Virtuoso

On Saturday I bought a WTRR101 and a WT101"Old#8". I'd never tried the Old#8, so I figured what the heck. It's ok, but it's not even close to the WTRR101.