Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Looking for Recommendations

Been awhile since I posted, but last time I found some helpful hints on here from the kind denizens of Bourbon Land. Started drinking bourbon about a year and a half ago and, being a good Virginian, started out with VG 90 which I liked (and still do) very much. From there I discovered WT 101 which pretty much became my standard pour. Tried EC which was OK but just OK. Tried OGD BIB 101 which at first I disliked but have come to consider it my favorite bourbon at the moment. I learned a like now a more complex taste.

Question: any recommendations on a new bourbon available in a VA ABC store along the lines of WT 101 and OGD BIB 101 which has some complexity in the taste?

Disciple

Re: Looking for Recommendations

If you like the WT 101, try an upgrade to the Rare Breed. It's a little more money, but much more complex, not as sweet and very engaging. This drink commands attention. As for in the same price range, maybe an Eagle Rare 10yr SB...it's less robust than the WT or OGD, but has good character.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

Have you tried Fighting Cock 103?
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Novice

Thanks for the advice. I've been wanting to try the WT Rare Breed and I know the ABC store carries it so that's a distinct possibility. I haven't tried the Fighting Cock but I think they carry it. I haven't heard much about that one

Guru

As a fellow Virginian, I can sympathize with your plight. VA's selection is limited. I have the advantage of being close to MD and DC so I can do my shopping there. In order to get items not typically seen on the shelves of ABC stores, you need to go in to your local store and speak with the manager.

If you go in with a list of expressions you are looking for, he can do a db search. Bourbons like Weller Antique, Weller Special Reserve, Old Fitz are not carried in the stores but can be special ordered.

Fighting Cock is inexpensive but a good bourbon for the price, and it's a 103 proof.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

I like Fighting Cock very much. It is similar to Wild Turkey in many ways, but it's bolder.

Last night, I decided to break into my Old Grand Dad 114 and sample it side by side with Wild Turkey Rare Breed. And while I found both of them remarkable, the OGD 114 won the match hands down. This might be my favorite bourbon of everything I have tasted to date.
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

As Andy suggested, try WT Rare Breed or ER SB 10/90. Both are great bourbons. Greg said you can special order some items like Weller SR and Weller Antique. I would order those if I were you. I promise you won't be disappointed. They are very good too. The Weller Antique, well... it's just plain good. The Weller SR is very inexpensive, and as has been stated in other threads, it is a great value pour. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Again, more great ideas - thanks very much. I don't think the VA ABC stores carry OGD 114, Eagle or Weller. Will they order by the bottle or do they need larger orders to make it worth their while?

I'm staring to think I prefer ryes with WT and OGD. Are Eagle, Weller and Fighting Cock ryes or wheaters?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by vamtnlion View Post
    Again, more great ideas - thanks very much. I don't think the VA ABC stores carry OGD 114, Eagle or Weller. Will they order by the bottle or do they need larger orders to make it worth their while?

I'm staring to think I prefer ryes with WT and OGD. Are Eagle, Weller and Fighting Cock ryes or wheaters?
    Weller's a wheater, ER is rye and I don't know about the Cock, but I assume by, if nothing but the name, that it's a rye also. Just looked it up...sure is rye. Interesting, if you go the their website it says "most bourbons are up of corn, barley and wheat, we use rye instead." The wheat bourbons say that rye is more common. I think from my limited experience that there seem to be many more rye-based bourbons around than wheaters.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy