Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Happy Holidays from Indiana

Hello,

I've been poking around this forum now for a few days and I really like it. I've been into bourbon now for about 10 years and am looking forward to learning more about it.

Usually, I keep a mag of inexpensive bourbon around (Old Forester at the moment), and a nice bottle of "sipping" whiskey (Knob Creek right now). But so far my favorite has to be the WT Rare breed.

Looking forward to reading more and hearing from everybody.

Jeff

Advanced Taster

Re: Happy Holidays from Indiana

Jeff,

I love Old Forester Signature and WT Rare Breed. Wasn't so impressed with Knob Creek, but it just seems that I never like Beam products. Have you tried Old Grand Dad 114? It's my current favorite.
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Hello,

I've been poking around this forum now for a few days and I really like it. I've been into bourbon now for about 10 years and am looking forward to learning more about it.

Usually, I keep a mag of inexpensive bourbon around (Old Forester at the moment), and a nice bottle of "sipping" whiskey (Knob Creek right now). But so far my favorite has to be the WT Rare breed.

Looking forward to reading more and hearing from everybody.

Jeff
    Great choices all around. I love all three of those. As beevee suggested above, if you want to expand your sipping, OGD would be a good place to start. Take a look at some of the Heaven Hill products too, like any of the Evan Williams expressions or Elijah Craig 12 y/o.

I would also recommend you dip your oar into the waters of wheaters. Try MM or Old Fitz BiB or Old Weller Antique 107. All affordable and good, imo.

Anyway, welcome to SB.com, and have a happy and safe holiday, no matter which ones you'll be celebrating!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bvscfanatic View Post
    Have you tried Old Grand Dad 114? It's my current favorite.
    It seems your current favorite is a Beam product, though -- OGD 114. BTW, got those discs yesterday, Alan, thanks again.....checked out the Blind Faith....very cool.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Yeah, sorry....Welcome Jeff! Happy Holidays!
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    It seems your current favorite is a Beam product, though -- OGD 114.
    Oops ... I guess it's my turn to eat some crow ... or maybe I could just DRINK some [Old] Crow Does that count?

I had no idea that OGD was a Beam product. Thanks for pointing it out, Andy. First one I've taken a liking to. OGD BIB was one of the first bourbons I ever tried. Liked it right away. And now OGD 114 is one of my two top favorites. The other is the Old Weller Antique 107 mentioned above. And, of course, I'm still sampling new bourbons all the time. I love being a newbie. Every new bottle is an adventure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bvscfanatic View Post
    Oops ... I guess it's my turn to eat some crow ... or maybe I could just DRINK some [Old] Crow Does that count?
    carefull, the Old Crow is a beam product now as well... and is nasty...

Welcome Jeff... look forward to your posting... try many and report back... I am sure your liquor cabinet will grow rapidly for a while

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    carefull, the Old Crow is a beam product now as well... and is nasty...
    I was joking, Emerald, but thanks for the heads up. I've seen Crow on the shelves, and it's very appearance, price and the plastic bottles deterred me from even thinking about it. Knowing that it's a bottom shelf Beam is just like adding a siren to the red flags that I was already detecting.

From one Hoosier to another, welcome aboard Jeff! I was born and raised in Indy, but now call Illinois home. You've come to the right place if you want to find out more about bourbon. Do a little digging, and you can find out a lot on your own. Don't be bashful when it comes to posting though. That's why we're here. So, let the fun begin! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I have tried OGD 114. It's been a while but I remember it being one helluva whiskey.